7.548, FYI: New list, Web site, cours, Finno-Ugrian sites

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Apr 13 15:31:07 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-548. Sat Apr 13 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  215

Subject: 7.548, FYI: New list, Web site, cours, Finno-Ugrian sites

Date:  Mon, 08 Apr 1996 08:48:48 MDT
From:  owner-gb2mp at colmex.mx
Subject:  New List

2)
Date:  Mon, 08 Apr 1996 17:50:06 EDT
From:  gezundha at epas.utoronto.ca (Henriette Gezundhajt)
Subject:  New Web site

3)
Date:  Fri, 12 Apr 1996 13:21:54 BST
From:  lali2 at oasis.uab.es (EUL`ALIA DE BOBES I SOLER)
Subject:  cours announcement

4)
Date:  Fri, 12 Apr 1996 09:41:58 +0300
From:  jolaakso at cc.helsinki.fi (Johanna Laakso)
Subject:  Finno-Ugrian Web Sites

Date:  Mon, 08 Apr 1996 08:48:48 MDT
From:  owner-gb2mp at colmex.mx

Greetings, everyone!
Sender: owner-gb2mp at colmex.mx

I just wanted to take this opportunity to welcome everyone to gb2mp.
This idea first began to germinate last January, and I didn't think it would
take this long to come in to full bloom, but then again, I had no idea
back then what was involved in setting up a forum of this kind.

I'd like to express my most profound gratitude to Marianna Pool and the
Colegio de Mexico, Mexico City, which is our host site.  Without Marianna's
hard work, and the Colegio's graciousness in agreeing to host us, this
list would not have been possible.

Special thanks go also to David Gohre, our co-moderator, for his willingness
to serve in that role andmore generally for his help and encouragement.

I'd also like to thank the moderators of LINGUIST, in particular Helen Dry,
Anthony Rodrigues Aristar, and Daniel Seely, who offered encouragement and
invaluable advice to us in setting up gb2mp.

Thanks also to Bill Turkel for his help in publicizing our new list.

And thanks to everyone on the gb and gb2mp distribution lists for the last
year, who have been so patient and encouraging.

I'd like at this point to say a few words about how this list will be
moderated.  GB2MP is a moderated list in the sense that each post submitted
for distribution is reviewed by a moderator prior to being sent out.

The advantage of this is that you won't be seeing personal notes directed to
one person, requests to unsubscribe, or "the Florida real-estate deal of a
lifetime" on gb2mp.

Disadvantages exist also, obviously, in terms of the turn-around time to
get messages out, but I don't believe this will be too troublesome.

It is my pleasure to say, at this time, let the discussions begin!

Tony Wright <twright at accdvm.accd.edu>
St. Philip's College
San Antonio, Texas, USA