7.551, Disc: Outline of evolution/emmergence (Was re:Formalism)

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Apr 13 17:45:13 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-551. Sat Apr 13 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  331

Subject: 7.551, Disc: Outline of evolution/emmergence (Was re:Formalism)

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Thu, 11 Apr 1996 13:02:32 EDT
From:  stephen at acm.org (Stephen P Spackman)
Subject:  Re: 7.533, Disc: Economy, Minimalism, Formalism

2)
Date:  Tue, 11 Apr 1995 15:22:26 CDT
From:  allegro at bluesky.net (Stirling Newberry)

3)
Date:  Thu, 11 Apr 1996 22:53:47 CDT
From:  pdaniels at press-gopher.uchicago.edu (Peter Daniels)

4)
Date:  Thu, 11 Apr 1996 15:19:56 EDT
From:  awechsle at bbn.com (Allan Wechsler)
Subject:  Natural selection and Linguistics

Date:  Thu, 11 Apr 1996 13:02:32 EDT
From:  stephen at acm.org (Stephen P Spackman)

aeulenbe at indiana.edu (Alex Eulenberg) wrote in 7.533 (responding to
Robin Allott, 7.512):

> Robin, you seem to be saying that any theory which finds linguistic
> categories in more general laws of human physiology or psychology must be
> compatible Darwin's theory of evolution in order for it to be
> scientifically valid.
> [...]
> I think what you say is untrue, in particular when you say "Darwinian
> processes" (by this I assume you mean survival of the fittest) "account
> for all other animal and human forms and behaviours." In fact, Darwinism
> can only account for trivial differences, such as variations in shape,
> size and color -- but Darwinism does not answer questions about the origin
> of truly novel structures.

On the contrary, I believe it can be (and has been) established that
_Darwinian_ evolution is not merely necessary but sufficient to
explaining the biological diversity that we see around us; and
understanding how and why this can be is vital to linguistics. Note
that I underlined "Darwinian", since the theory that is supported by
the evidence is the one involving the perpetuation of the gene-lines
of highly reproducing individuals, the "survival of the fittest [=most
surviving]", rather than the positively mediaeval notion of "survival
of the fittest [=most like me]" which is more usually ascribed to
Darwin in school and on television.

One conceptual breakthrough we have seen in the last couple of decades
is "selfish gene" theory, which explains "altruistic" behaviour in
genetic terms by sharpening the identification of the "individuals" to
which evolution applies to genetic structures rather than their
macroscopic manifestations per se. This is important because it allows
us to see how things that are not encoded purely genetically
(including linguistic or cultural structures) can also get in on the
act, once genetics has "licensed" them by providing suitable hardware
(that is, there is automatically a meme -> gene transfer once the gene
-> meme system is established).

That still leaves the puzzle discussed under names such as "missing
links" or (in other circles) the "punctuated equlibrium" model. What
is going on here is that genes exhibit a quasi-heirarchic control
structure in which one gene can control another gene's expression and
even the _error rate_ permitted when it is reproduced.

The consequence is that the evolutionary mechanism _itself_ is subject
to evolution - all well within the framework of Darwin's very elegant
theory - and genetic organisations that favour favourable mutations
and reduce the likelihood of fatal (or more importantly, inefficiently
fatal!) ones are, in the extreme long term, themselves
favoured. "Rapid-deployment evolution" is an evolved strategy that
relies on segregating the mechanics of biochemistry from those of, for
instance, body plan, or on a more superficial level still, colouration
(I'm a decade behind the times on this stuff, but if you want some
hard evidence of this phenomenon I'd guess you could do worse than to
look into work on the "homeobox" genes).

The relevance that this has for linguistics is twofold. First, it
re-establishes the plausibility of evolution as the principle
underlying the biological stratum - and in the absence of any
mechanically satisfactory competing proposal that I know of, Occam's
razor suggests that we maintain it as our working hypothesis (while,
of course, turning any further evidence that may turn up to its
validation, as appropriate). Second, it meshes with and is reinforced
by what is hopefully actually clearer in diachronic linguistics than
in biology: that certain structures (whether biological, syntactic,
lexical or morphological) are common _because_ they are enduring once
they occur, and they are enduring because they are either
"self-protecting" in their context or readily protected by related
structures in their environment (which might in turn be enduring or -
and this is important - cyclically recurring).

Perhaps the most important observations of all are (a) that modularity
is often an evolutionarily favoured phenomenon because of its
chaos-resisting properties, and (b) that evolution provides, and
continues to provide, _cross_-modular links, while synchronic
mechanisms are restricted to intra-modular interactions and limited
interface phenomena.

If evolution appears to be implausible, it may be because you are
forgetting that the mechanisms of evolution evolve. This is where our
in traditional terms not especially "fit" species cashes in - we adapt
furthest and fastest.

stephen p spackman
<stephen at acm.org>