7.555, Sum: Indian English dictionary

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Apr 14 20:49:48 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-555. Sun Apr 14 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  61

Subject: 7.555, Sum: Indian English dictionary

Date:  Sun, 14 Apr 1996 14:05:33 EDT
From:  JPKIRCHNER at aol.com
Subject:  Sum:  Indian English dictionary

Date:  Sun, 14 Apr 1996 14:05:33 EDT
From:  JPKIRCHNER at aol.com

Ages ago I posted a query asking if there were a dictionary that might help
me with the terms specific to Indian English that don't appear in an ordinary
English unabridged.

There appear to be three:

Yule, Henry, Sir (1886), Hobson-Jobson: being a glossary of Anglo-Indian
colloquial words and phrases and of kindred terms.  London: John Murray.

This is a quaint, chatty and seemingly quite comprehensive reference source
that not only tells you what the Anglo-Indian terms mean, but sometimes what
they don't mean but that the authors originally _thought_ they meant.

Muthiah, S. (1991), Words in Indian English: A Reader's Guide.  Indus.

I couldn't get my hands on a copy of this anywhere, whether at a library or a
bookstore.  While it's purportedly still in print, I did not succeed in
getting a copy even on special order.

Lewis, Ivor (1991), Sahibs, Nabobs and Boxwallahs: A Dictionary of the Words
of Anglo-India.  Bombay: Oxford.

Not nearly as big as Hobson-Jobson, but a good reference source.

Profuse thanks to:  Lynne Hewitt, Peter Daniels, Stuart Luppescu, Linda
Coleman, and anyone else whose message may have gotten misplaced in the
caverns of my hard disk.

James Kirchner