7.564, Disc: Grammatical Gender

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Apr 16 14:05:29 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-564. Tue Apr 16 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  466

Subject: 7.564, Disc: Grammatical Gender

Date:  Mon, 15 Apr 1996 00:33:16 PDT
From:  dearmond at sfu.ca (Richard DeArmond)
Subject:  Re: 7.557, Disc: Grammatical gender, re: 7.522 & 7.537

2)
Date:  Sun, 14 Apr 1996 23:17:30 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Gender gender

3)
Date:  Tue, 16 Apr 1996 09:57:44 +0400
From:  lotofil at tversu.ac.ru ("Jurij R. Lotoshko")
Subject:  Re 4-522, 7-537 & 7-557  Disc:  Grammatical Gender and Feminism

4)
Date:  Tue, 16 Apr 1996 13:04:11 +0200
From:  waruno at paradox.rz-berlin.mpg.de (Waruno Mahdi)
Subject:  Re:  Disc: Grammatical gender

5)
Date:  Tue, 16 Apr 1996 13:11:13 +0200
From:  Ian.Watering at postkontor.hamarlh.no (Ian Watering) (Ian Watering)

Date:  Mon, 15 Apr 1996 00:33:16 PDT
From:  dearmond at sfu.ca (Richard DeArmond)

A note on Hoffman's observation. 'It' is commonly used in some or most
N.American dialects to refer to animals that are not named. If they acquire
a name, there is a strong tendency to use 'he' or 'she' whichever is
appropriate.
:
1)      As for Fido, he is a common mongrel.
2)      ??As for Fido, it is a common mongrel.
3_      Look at that strange dog over there. It looks like a common mongrel.
 I find myself reluctant to use 'it' for babies even when the sex is
unknown. Either I avoid a pronoun or look for a clue or, dangerously, use
'he' or 'she'.
Dick.