7.568, Qs: Modals, Quantifiers, Numerals, Verbs, Emphasis

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Apr 17 13:11:57 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-568. Wed Apr 17 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  162

Subject: 7.568, Qs: Modals, Quantifiers, Numerals, Verbs, Emphasis

Date:  Tue, 16 Apr 1996 16:45:36 BST
From:  mccay at jet.es ("Alan R. King")
Subject:  Q: Cross-linguistic modal survey

2)
Date:  Tue, 16 Apr 1996 09:19:02 PDT
From:  bingfu at chaph.usc.edu (Lu Bingfu)
Subject:  difference between many and numerous

3)
Date:  Tue, 16 Apr 1996 09:34:34 PDT
From:  bingfu at chaph.usc.edu (Lu Bingfu)
Subject:  adjectives that preceding numerals

4)
Date:  Tue, 16 Apr 1996 13:47:27 CDT
From:  mhorlick at indiana.edu (michael)
Subject:  russian verbs

5)
Date:  Tue, 16 Apr 1996 22:23:35 +0200
From:  eloufjdb at cetus.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE ("Dr. Elke Hentschel")
Subject:  query: "terrible" emphasis

Date:  Tue, 16 Apr 1996 16:45:36 BST
From:  mccay at jet.es ("Alan R. King")

As part of a study on the typology of modality expressions in the world's
languages, I request translations into as many languages as possible
(especially non-European ones!) of the following three sentences:

1)  I can go to Tokyo.
2)  I have to go to Tokyo.
3)  I want to go to Tokyo.

Please literal-gloss the sentences; any further grammatical explanations or
comments will also be most welcome.  "Tokyo" may be replaced by any other
place if that is more convenient.  If there is a choice of possible
translations, you may give more than one, commenting if possible on
differences between them.

I may want to come back to those who reply with a longer list of more
detailed questions on the subject, so you may wish to indicate in your reply
whether or not you would object to this.

(Note:  I placed another query about modals on the list a few weeks ago, but
the number of replies I received was very disappointing.  I am nonetheless
grateful to all those who did respond on that occasion.  I am led to
conclude that perhaps my previous question was too obscurely worded or too
complicated, hence this new attempt.  If and when I receive a substantial
response this time, I will post a combined summary.  Note that there is no
need to look at the earlier question when answering now.)

Many thanks!

Alan R. King          |  EMAIL: mccay at jet.es
Indamendi 13, 7C      |  [or if all else fails] 70244.1674 at compuserve.com
20800 Zarautz         |  FAX: +34-43-130396
Gipuzkoa
Euskal Herria / Basque Country (Spain)