7.573, Disc: Grammatical Gender

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Apr 17 20:40:05 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-573. Wed Apr 17 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  109

Subject: 7.573, Disc: Grammatical Gender

Date:  Tue, 16 Apr 1996 16:58:52 +0200
From:  hartmut at ruc.dk (Hartmut Haberland)
Subject:  Re: 7.564, Disc: Grammatical Gender

2)
Date:  Tue, 16 Apr 1996 22:19:56 BST
From:  bill at softdom.com (Bill Holowacz)
Subject:  Disc: Grammatical Gender

3)
Date:  Wed, 17 Apr 1996 11:54:16 +0200
From:  waruno at paradox.rz-berlin.mpg.de (Waruno Mahdi)
Subject:  Re: 7.564, Disc: Grammatical Gender  (correction)

Date:  Tue, 16 Apr 1996 16:58:52 +0200
From:  hartmut at ruc.dk (Hartmut Haberland)

Alexis asks,

"I would love to know if Mr. Witty can find even a single example of a
basic (i.e., not a derived diminutive) noun in German which is neuter
and which refers to a class of human beings containing adult men and
women equally ..."

Well, I can: what about das Opfer? Admittedly, das Kind is not a noun
that refers to a class of human beings containing men and women
equally (although it's basic), but what about das Geburtstagskind?
(Danish has a few more of them: not only offer 'victim' is neuter, but
also gidsel 'hostage' and postbud 'postperson :-)' - and this is
really an overkill since Danish has no masculine/feminine distinction
anymore!)

This is no comment on Alexis' remarks otherwise - these words might
still be exceptions - but at least German is not as rigid as he
assumes.

A noun that is feminine in German and that denotes a class of human
beings containing adult men and women equally (or refers to its
members) is Person.

Hartmut Haberland
hartmut at ruc.dk