7.590, Disc: Grammatical Gender

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Apr 20 17:47:13 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-590. Sat Apr 20 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  555

Subject: 7.590, Disc: Grammatical Gender

Date:  Fri, 19 Apr 1996 11:02:28 EDT
From:  kaufmans at gusun.acc.georgetown.edu (Stefan Kaufmann)
Subject:  Re: 7.582, Disc: Grammatical Gender

2)
Date:  Fri, 19 Apr 1996 09:29:36 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)

3)
Date:  Fri, 19 Apr 1996 20:35:50 +0200
From:  F.Heberlein at ku-eichstaett.d400.de
Subject:   Gender

4)
Date:  Fri, 19 Apr 1996 12:32:35 +0200
From:  waruno at paradox.rz-berlin.mpg.de (Waruno Mahdi)
Subject:  Disc: Gramatical gender (7.578)

5)
Date:  Fri, 19 Apr 1996 17:16:11 PDT
From:  dalford at s1.csuhayward.edu (Dan Moonhawk Alford)

6)
Date:  Sat, 20 Apr 1996 18:58:48 +0200
From:  waruno at paradox.rz-berlin.mpg.de (Waruno Mahdi)

Date:  Fri, 19 Apr 1996 11:02:28 EDT
From:  kaufmans at gusun.acc.georgetown.edu (Stefan Kaufmann)

> Hartmut's example of Person (fem.), like my own of Individuum
> (neuter), are not exceptions to anything I have said, since
> they do not denote a subclass of human beings.  Any human
> being can be a Person or an Individuum, but not everybody
> is an Ingenieur, for example.  Compounds of Kind do not count

Hartmut's message was the best contribution to this whole discussion.
What does AMR say about an example like "Geisel" 'hostage'? In fact,
there are numerous grammatically feminine nouns that are often used to
refer to men, some of them, interestingly, quite flattering (e.g.
Persoenlichkeit, Koryphaee, Figur ("~ des oeffentlichen Lebens"...)).

> I am not sure who suggetsed that gender is arbitrary, but
> that is plainly untrue.

I don't think so. Gender _is_ arbitrary. If you disagree, please let us
know how you account for the distribution of gender among the names of
plants, animals, and inanimate objects. All you can possibly say is that
when referring to things that have sex (please don't get me wrong),
there is a _tendency_ to use a particular grammatical gender for a
particular natural sex.

A general note: Something that seems to be implicit in the rhetoric of
many PC-advocates, but hasn't been expressed yet, is the prediction
that in German-speaking countries, woman _are_ actually more
"suppressed" than in English-speaking countries. This prediction would
necessarily follow from the assumption that the grammar has a direct
influence on social reality.  (Otherwise, why would you want to change
the grammar?) I sugget that you ask German women about this. My guess
is you'll be surprised. But please don't post your results to this
list. This is a _Linguist_ list.

SK