7.591, Disc: Ungrammatical sentences

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Apr 20 18:08:12 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-591. Sat Apr 20 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  393

Subject: 7.591, Disc: Ungrammatical sentences

Date:  Fri, 19 Apr 1996 08:37:19 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Re:  7.567, Disc: Ungrammatical sentences

2)
Date:  Fri, 19 Apr 1996 03:25:00 PDT
From:  IBENAWJ at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (benji wald                          )
Subject:  Ungrammaticality

Date:  Fri, 19 Apr 1996 08:37:19 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)

I have yet to see it demonstrated that the meanings carried by
bound morphemes and grammatical processes (such as ablaut, say)
are in principle different from those carried by free morphemes
if that is what is claimed when the term 'grammatical meaning'
is used.  At the very least, there would seem to be a fairly
serious overlap between the two sets of meanings.