7.592, Disc: Grammatical Gender

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Apr 22 02:37:13 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-592. Sun Apr 21 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  699

Subject: 7.592, Disc: Grammatical Gender

Date:  Sat, 20 Apr 1996 14:32:00 EDT
From:  joel at exc.com (Joel M. Hoffman)
Subject:  7.590, Disc: Grammatical Gender

2)
Date:  Sat, 20 Apr 1996 16:30:55 PDT
From:  dearmond at sfu.ca (Richard DeArmond)
Subject:  Re: 7.573, Disc: Grammatical Gender

3)
Date:  Sat, 20 Apr 1996 20:33:12 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Re:  7.590, Disc: Grammatical Gender

4)
Date:  Sun, 21 Apr 1996 08:12:05 -0000
From:  doug at latcs1.cs.latrobe.edu.au ("Douglas Moore")
Subject:  Disc: Theory of Gender

5)
Date:  Sun, 21 Apr 1996 14:35:48 EDT
From:  rbeard at bucknell.edu (Robert Beard)

6)
Date:  Sun, 21 Apr 1996 14:55:17 BST
From:  lagunoff at ucla.edu (Rachel Lagunoff)
Subject:  Re: 7.587, Sum: Grammatical gender

Date:  Sat, 20 Apr 1996 14:32:00 EDT
From:  joel at exc.com (Joel M. Hoffman)

>> I am not sure who suggetsed that gender is arbitrary, but
>> that is plainly untrue.
>
>I don't think so. Gender _is_ arbitrary. If you disagree, please let us
>know how you account for the distribution of gender among the names of
>plants, animals, and inanimate objects. All you can possibly say is that

I would go one step further, noting that even among words for
"person," gender seems somewhat arbitrary.  The examples from Romance
of "person" (which is fem.) have already been noted.  In Biblical
Hebrew, there are two words for person: iS and nefeS (S="sh"); the
former is masc., the latter fem.

In most languages that I'm familiar with, the labels masc. and fem.
are actually somewhat misleading.  What we really have is category A
and category B (and sometimes category C). Often category A is the
default, with B used for exceptions.  Thus, A is used for people when
their sex is unknown or immaterial.

But the cultures in which many of these languages were and are used
often give grossly unequal roles to men and women, and sometimes
equate "men" with "default people," unfairly relegating women to
deviants from the norm.  In these cultures, not surprisingly, men fall
into category A (default) and women into category B (exception).  But,
it seems to me, to fault the language for reflecting the culture,
rather than faulting the culture, is misguided anger.

-Joel Hoffman
(joel at exc.com)