7.617, Qs: Yue, Floating Quantifiers, TESOL, Websites

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Apr 26 02:59:03 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-617. Thu Apr 25 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  142

Subject: 7.617, Qs: Yue, Floating Quantifiers, TESOL, Websites

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)

Date:  Wed, 24 Apr 1996 10:24:19 BST
From:  wcli at vax.ox.ac.uk
Subject:  Yue

2)
Date:  Tue, 16 Apr 1996 13:12:47 PDT
From:  dearmond at sfu.ca (Richard DeArmond)
Subject:  Q: Floating Quantifiers

3)
Date:  Wed, 24 Apr 1996 21:40:31 +0200
From:  h130640 at stud.u-szeged.hu,
       h130640 at stud.u-szeged.hu (Ifjabb Domokos Laszlo)
Subject:  TESOL courses
	  TESOL courses

4)
Date:  Wed, 24 Apr 1996 16:55:14 PDT
From:  jrubba at harp.aix.calpoly.edu (Johanna Rubba)
Subject:  Misc. queries

Date:  Wed, 24 Apr 1996 10:24:19 BST
From:  wcli at vax.ox.ac.uk

In ancient China (500 BC to 500 AD), the indigenous peoples of the
southeast were known collectively as Yue*, and had their own language,
presumably some non-CHinese language in the Sino-Tibetan family.  Does
anyone know of any studies of ancient Yue, and what branch of
Sino-Tibetan it might have belonged to?

Wen-Chao Li
Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford

*  Yue as in "to cross over"; not the yue for Cantonese.