7.624, Qs: English Textbooks, Conjunction, Agency

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Apr 27 01:57:57 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-624. Fri Apr 26 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  136

Subject: 7.624, Qs: English Textbooks, Conjunction, Agency

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)

Date:  Thu, 25 Apr 1996 21:35:00 CDT
From:  Mike_Maxwell at SIL.ORG
Subject:  textbooks of English

2)
Date:  Fri, 26 Apr 0500 08:36:43
From:  b-kim6 at students.uiuc.edu (Byong-Kwon Kim)
Subject:  Qs: Conjunction as a subcategorizer

3)
Date:  Fri, 26 Apr 1996 13:32:33 EDT
From:  aco at snoopy.ling.lsa.umich.edu ("Ana C. Ostermann")
Subject:  Q: Agency in Narratives

Date:  Thu, 25 Apr 1996 21:35:00 CDT
From:  Mike_Maxwell at SIL.ORG

The following is from my son's seventh grade English textbook
("Houghton Mifflin English", 1990):

   A phrase is a group of words that is used as a single word in a
   sentence.  A prepositional phrase begins with a preposition, ends
   with the object of the preposition, and includes any words that
   modify the  object. [p. 447]

   Adjective Phrases.  You have learned that prepositional phrases are
   used as single words.  A prepositional phrase that functions as an
   adjective is called an adjective phrase...  [Example:] "Wallpaper
   was a cheap substtute {for woven wall hangings}." ... [p. 451]

   Adverb Phrases.  A prepositional phrase that functions as an adverb is
   called an adverb phrase... [Examples:] "We will travel {with a tour.}."
   ... "This tour is famous {for its careful planning}." ...  "Have you
   ever traveled far {from home}?" [p. 453]

(I've used curly braces to delineate the phrases in question, where
they used colored ink.  I've also added quotes.)

I think there are a number of infelicities in the above, but the part
that really bothers me is the idea that adjective phrases are always
and only prepositional phrases.  I find no mention in the book of what
I would term _true_ adjective phrases ("angry at his boss", "yellow
with age"); the index refers only to p. 451 and some other pages
repeating the same idea, while the lexicon of grammatical terms at the
end of the book again identifies adjective phrases exclusively with
PPs that modify a noun or pronoun.  Likewise, adverb phrases are
identified exclusively with PPs that modify verbs, adjectives or other
adverbs; there is no mention of other kinds of AdvPs, (if indeed PPs
in adverbial roles should be called adverbial phrases at all).

Clearly what they're doing is attempting to do is to distinguish
between modification of nouns by PPs and adverbial modification by
PPs, but it seems to me that they only muddle the issue with their
terminology.

Do others find the texts above to be out in left field, or am I a
relic of ancient grammar?  (By ancient, I guess I mean grammars like
Jackendoff's X-bar book.)