7.1105, Disc: Multilinguality

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Aug 3 20:42:55 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1105. Sat Aug 3 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  170

Subject: 7.1105, Disc: Multilinguality

Date:  Thu, 01 Aug 1996 13:11:03 EDT
From:  kmdavis at erols.com (Karen Davis)
Subject:  Multilinguality

2)
Date:  Thu, 01 Aug 1996 12:34:57 PDT
From:  fromkin at ucla.edu ("Victoria A. Fromkin")
Subject:  Re: 7.1097, Disc: Multilinguality

3)
Date:  Thu, 01 Aug 1996 23:42:39 BST
From:  pdaniels at press-gopher.uchicago.edu (Peter Daniels)

4)
Date:  Fri, 02 Aug 1996 09:33:05 EDT
From:  rowe at email.unc.edu (Charles Rowe)
Subject:  re: 7.1083 disc: multilinguality

5)
Date:  Fri, 02 Aug 1996 14:20:53 EDT
From:  leh5 at psu.edu (Lynne Hewitt)

Date:  Thu, 01 Aug 1996 13:11:03 EDT
From:  kmdavis at erols.com (Karen Davis)

I am also not a "linguist" in the sense used on this list, that is, a
scientist who studies language (I believe someone suggested "tonguewit"
once? (though I love language and this list)) but I am a "linguist" in
the commonly accepted and government defined meaning, that is, someone
who speaks (in my case, works in) a second language.

I am no polyglot in any extraordinary sense: I am comfortable in two
other languages and can get by in textual work, not spoken, in two
others. However, I know a man who is certified at level three (simply
defined, the ability to formulate and defend opinions) in over a dozen
languages, and who can speak more than that, languages he's simply never
bothered to get certification in. Nor is this serial competency: he
remains competent in all of them, which means that he is, in a sense,
like a native. In fact, upon seeing a teaser for Phenonmenon, the scene
where John Travolta's character is asked "You learned Portugese in 20
minutes?" and answers, defensively, "Not all of it!" I was reminded of
this guy (whose name I do not have permission to give out): he taught
himself most of the languages he knows in remarkably short order.

All of us who know him regard him with some awe, as a phenomenon (as
remarked by Dick Hudson, he doesn't see himself that way). Perhaps we
should agree to regard such people in the same way that we regard
Mozart: they can do it, but other, more ordinary, folks can't.

I couldn't, that's for sure. One of my "marginal" languages used to be
much stronger, and the French I was comfortable with in elementary
school is almost completely gone: I don't claim to be able to do more
than say, 'Yep, that's French all right!' any more.