7.1108, Sum: th-substitution

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Aug 5 04:56:38 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1108. Sun Aug 4 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  214

Subject: 7.1108, Sum: th-substitution

Date:  Sun, 04 Aug 1996 19:46:27 -0000
From:  cpeust at gwdg.de
Subject:  Sum: th-substitution

2)
Date:  Sun, 04 Aug 1996 20:24:50 -0000
From:  cpeust at gwdg.de
Subject:  sum: th-substitution part 2

Date:  Sun, 04 Aug 1996 19:46:27 -0000
From:  cpeust at gwdg.de

A while ago I posted the following question on Linguist List:

I received 28 answers and am very glad about the interest. Thanks a
lot to all who took time to write! My thanks go to:

 Jorge Baptista        jbaptis at mozart.si.ualg.pt
Karen S. Chung      karchung at ccms.ntu.edu.tw
Malin Ericson          malin at ling.su.se
JOSEPH F. FOSTER          Joseph.Foster at UC.Edu
Sandra Golstein       sandra at tovna.co.il
Mark H.-M. Hansheng         mhansell at carleton.edu
James Kirchner       JPKIRCHNER at aol.com
Roger Lass             ROGER at beattie.uct.ac.za
Wenchao Li            wcli at vax.ox.ac.uk
Larry Mitchell          j-mitchell at tamu.edu
Bente H. Moxness   benmox at alfa.itea.unit.no
Caoimhin P. ODonnaile    caoimhin at smo.uhi.ac.uk
Charles Rowe         rowe at email.unc.edu
GAVIN O SHEA   GOSHEA at acadamh.ucd.ie
Laura C. Smith       lcsmith at acs.ucalgary.ca
John Verhaar         101457.3114 at CompuServe.COM
Guido Vanden Wyngaerd
Guido=Vanden=Wyngaerd%OWP%UFSAL at ufsal3.kubrussel.ac.be

As a result I will show in a short form which is the commonest form of
substitutions of voiceless and voiced in all languages I was told of:

Afrikaans: f and v
Chinese from Hong Kong: f and n
Chinese from Malaysia/Singapore: t and d
Chinese from Taiwan: s and l
Czech: t and d, more rarely f and v
Dutch: t and d
French: in France s and z, in Canada t and d
     (this interesting fact seems very certain since a lot of
	people told me)
German: s and z in Austria perhaps t and d
Hebrew: s and d
Icelandic: no substitution since th-sounds exist in Icelandic
Norwegian: t and d
Polish: t and d
Portuguese: s and d
Russian: t and d
Spanish: t and d, although a voiceless th-sound (c, z) exists at
	least in many ialects!
Swedish: s and d respectively. The assymetry is due to the fact
Swedish has no /z/.
Yiddish: t (no information for voiced th)

Several people also told me of special reflexes of th in English
dialects:
f and v respectively in Cockney
also in Southern or Black American English, but subject to
restrictions t and d respectively in New York and parts of Ireland,
these sounds seem not to be identical to etymological t and d
I also heard that British children who not yet master the (voiceless)
th-sound substitute it by f.

Now some additional information I got:

Laura Catharine Smith is preparing a paper on this topic which will
appear in the Calgary Working Papers in Linguistics' next volume
 to appear in January of 1997.

Not long ago, Wenchao Li asked about historical developments of
th-spirants and posted a summary on Linguist List, titled "dental
spirant summary",  on   Fri, 26 Jul 1996 17:03:19 +0100
Carsten Peust
Seminar of Egyptology and Coptology
Goettingen
cpeust at gwdu20.gwdg.de or cpeust at gwdg.de