7.1110, Disc: Arabic sign language

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Aug 5 13:21:09 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1110. Mon Aug 5 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  284

Subject: 7.1110, Disc: Arabic sign language

Date:  Fri, 02 Aug 1996 16:56:20 EDT
From:  clostran at MailBox.Syr.Edu ("Carolyn L. Ostrander")
Subject:  Re: 7.1101, Disc: Arabic sign language

2)
Date:  Fri, 02 Aug 1996 19:43:17 EDT
From:  d126244 at er.uqam.ca (Chris Miller)

Date:  Fri, 02 Aug 1996 16:56:20 EDT
From:  clostran at MailBox.Syr.Edu ("Carolyn L. Ostrander")

On Fri, 2 Aug 1996, Soren Harder wrote:

> Salem Ghazali (Salem.Ghazali at irsit.rnrt.tn) asked for help developing
> an "Arabic sign language".*snip*
>
> The first thing you have to remember is that a sign language is 95%
> independent of the spoken language of the regions it is used, so
> please do not try to develop an _Arabic_ sign language. Aim for a
> Tunesian or North African instead.

CLO here
This is very true. - and critical. Sign languages differ in grammar and
syntax from spoken ones in some important ways.
> I believe there would be two ways to approach the problem.
>
> 1) To 'give up'. To use one of the already standardized, existing
> (European or American or perhaps there exist some African)

CLO here: Indeed, there are certainly many African signed languages, and
I am betting that some of them exist in North Africa. If you can gain
access to them, the obvious best possible solution is for the teachers of
the deaf to learn from the native signers while the native signers learn
to be teachers of the deaf.

> 2) Do it the hard way. Collect all the different 'home-languages' (as
> I believe they are called); if you are lucky some of them might be
> historically related, but propably they will have developed totally
> independent of each other, and thus not have anything important
> structurally in common (besides sign language universals).
>
> The second of these options is the one you seem to have in mind,

CLO here:
You then discussed a 3rd option:
>but
> perhaps you should consider whether it is worth the while to make a
> brand new artificial language.

CLO here: This is the most common response, and does not usually build as
much on
home signs as on spoken language. In fact, Judy Kegl has shown that,
given enough young deaf people with contact with each other, legitimate
sign languages develop spontaneously relatively quickly (See for instance
her work in Nicaragua).

> It will only limit the communicative
> capabilities of the deaf community, as it will cut it off from signing
> language communities in the rest of the world, without tying it closer
> to the (Arabic-)speaking community. There are enough languages in the
> world. (This might sound very controversial; it shouldn't in this
> context).
> Soren Harder (student in computational linguistics and formal
> semantics)
CLO here:
This argument is not as logical as it sounds; learning ANY language
as a first language is in fact less restrictive of communication than
substantial delays which result in learning NO language during childhood.
(See again Judy Kegl, and also Rachel Mayberry). I will provide proper
citations within 48 hours, but want to put this information out as
quickly as possible.

finally:
If communication with the Arab-speaking (or any speaking and literate) world
is a grave concern, urge a bilingual education program which makes use of
the Arabic Cued Speech tool to accurately display spoken Arabic phoneme
by phoneme, while simultaneously providing a through grounding in the
native sign language. Content can be taught in Sign Language, while
literacy is taught through Cues.

Carolyn Ostrander        clostran at syr.edu