7.1118, Sum: Pronunciation of AAVE

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Aug 7 18:53:08 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1118. Wed Aug 7 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  69

Subject: 7.1118, Sum: Pronunciation of AAVE

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Mon, 05 Aug 1996 23:28:31 BST
From:  lagunoff at ucla.edu (Rachel Lagunoff)
Subject:  Sum: Pronunciation of AAVE

Date:  Mon, 05 Aug 1996 23:28:31 BST
From:  lagunoff at ucla.edu (Rachel Lagunoff)

Following are the results of my query on the pronunciation of AAVE.  I
called it an acronym, but it can also be pronounced as a set of
initials.  (I wish in English we had a word like the French 'sigle'
which covers both!)

In a course I taught this summer, I found I was alternating between
pronouncing AAVE as the intitials, or as the acronym /eyv/.  I noticed
some of my students started saying /ave/, and wondered what the
consensus was among linguists.  The consensus is: there is no
consensus.  I've copied the replies I received below.  Thanks to all
who responded!

Stefan Martin:
I study and write about AAVE, and so far there seems to be no
consensus on how the acronym should be pronounced.  I think aaah-vay
is pretty silly, as that reminds one of "ave Maria."  So I've settled
on the pronunciation that rhymes with "pave."

Peggy Speas:
I say [ey ey vi i], but I've also heard people say [av].

Charlie Rowe:
As far as I am aware, it is pronounced letter by letter: [?e?e vi?i],
just as BVE was/is pronounced [bi vi ?i].

Mark A. Mandel:
I pronounce it "ay-ay-vee-ee". That means that for me it isn't an
acronym.  As an acronym it would be something like "ayv" (rhyming with
"wave"), or "ah-v@" (@=schwa).

Rachel Lagunoff
lagunoff at ucla.edu