7.1120, Sum: References on Japanese phonology and loanwords

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Aug 7 20:47:42 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1120. Wed Aug 7 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  286

Subject: 7.1120, Sum: References on Japanese phonology and loanwords

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Tue, 06 Aug 1996 22:16:17 -0000
From:  akimur at essex.ac.uk (ayumi kimura)
Subject:  References on Japanese phonology and loanword

Date:  Tue, 06 Aug 1996 22:16:17 -0000
From:  akimur at essex.ac.uk (ayumi kimura)

 References on Japanese phonology and loanwords:

Dear Linguists,

Thank you very much for helpling me to find many references to
Japanese phonology and loanwords.  Even thought my query a very
introductory one, many people understood my message and sent
information.  Thank you very much for this encouragement.  From the
bottom of my heart, I really appreciate the
 kindness shown by the following people:

	Markus Hiller
	Takako Kawasaki
	Mafuyu Kitahara
	Paul de Lacy
	Kie M Ross
	Malio Saltarelli
	Yasuhiro Sukegawa
	Michael Wescoat
	Hiroyuki Tanaka

Since several people have asked me for the references that I recieved,
I shall briefly summarise those references that I have so far. I hope
that these will be helpful for people who want to study loanwords
phonology and Japanese phonology.

Ayumi kimura

	References for Japanese phonology and loanwords

Akasaka, Kazuo (1972)
Gairaigo-hyooki to hatsuon ni kansuru ichi-koosatsu [A Study on the
Transcription and Prononciation of Foreign Loanwords], Gengo to Bunka,
4, 49-58

Aizawa, Y. (1988)
English Loanwords with SOKUON and their English Sounds,Onsei no
Kenkyuu 22, 51-69. Nihon Onsei Gakkai

Arakawa, Soobee(1977)
Kadokawa Dictionary of Loan-Words, Second edn., Tokyo, 	Kado-kawa Shoten

Blackhouse, A.E(1993)
The Japanese Language: an introduction, O.U.P

Fukui, Naoki(1986)
Leftward Spread:Compensatory Lengthening and Gemination in Japanese.
Linguistic Inquiry, 17, 359-364

Grignon, Anne-Marie(1985)
 'On the structure of the Japanese rime', The McGill Working Papers in
 Linguistics
Vol 2. No2

Haraguchi, Shosuke (1977)
The Tone Pattern of Japanese: An Autosegmental Theory of Tonology,
Tokyo:Kaitakusha

Haraguchi, S (1991)
 A Theory of Stress and Accent, Dordrecht: Foris

Ito, J(1986)
Syllable Theory in Prosodic Phonology, Ph.D thesis, University of
Massachusetts, Amherst, MA

Ito, J(1989)
 A prosodic Theory of Epenthesis, Natural Language and Linguistic Theory, 7,
217-260

Ito, J (1990)
 Prosodic Minimality in Japanese, CLS, Papers from the parasession on
the Syllable in Phonetics and phonology, 26-II, 213-239

Ito, J and A.Mester (1993)
 Japanese Phonology: Constraint Domain and Structural Preservation,
Santa Cruz, CA: University of California, ms

Ito, J and A Mester (1995)
Japanese Phonology, The Handbook of Phonological Theory, (ed. by
Goldsmith), 826-838

Imai, K. (1980)
Onseigakuteki Hikaku (Phonetic Comparison),in Kunihiro, T. (ed.)
Nichieigo Hikaku
Kouza (Series in Japanese-EnglishComparison ) 1, 7-68.

Ishino, H. (1983)
Gendai gairaigo koo, Taishuukan shoten, Tokyo.

Ito, J. and A. Mester (1995)
The Core-Periphery Structure of the Lexicon and Constraints on
Reranking,University of Massachusetts Occasional Papers 18, 181-210.

Katayama, M. (1995)
 Loanword Accent and Minimal Reranking in Japanese,Phonology at Santa
Cruz 4, 1-12.

Kawagoe, I (1995)
Syakuyougo ni miru sokuonka to rizumu shototsu (Consonant Gemination
in Loanword Phonology and Rhythm Clash), Gengo Kenkyu 108, 46-73.

Kotera, S. (1985)
Gairaigo ni mirareru shiin no onsetsuka ni tsuite (Some Remarks on
WhatVowels Are Added to Consonants in Borrowings from English),Onsei
no Kenkyuu 21, 177-185.

Kubozono, Haruo(1993)
The Organisation of Japanese Prosody, Tokyo, Kuroshio 	Publishers

Kubozono, H (1994)
Syllable and accent in Japanese: evidence from loanword
phonology. Paper presented at TREND II, University of California,
Berkeley

Kubozono, H(1995)
 Gokeisei no oninkoozoo, Kuroshio Publishers

Li, K. (1992)
Gairaigo akusento no gensoku ni hazureru go no bunseki: oninteki na
youin o chuushin ni,Tohoku daigaku gengogaku ronshuu 1, 109-123.

Lovins, J. B.(1974)
 'Why Loan Phonology is Natural Phonology', CLS, Papers from the
Parasession on Natural Phonology, 10-II, 240-250

Lovins, J. B.(1975)
Loanwords and the Phonological Structure in Japanese, Ph.D.
thesis, University of Chicago, Chicago

Mabuchi, Kazuo(1971)
 Kokugo on-inron, [Japapanese Phonology], Tokyo, Kazama Shoin

Miller, R.A (1967)
 The Japanese Language, The University of Chicago Press

Miura, Akira(1979)
English Loanwords in Japanese, Rutland, VT:Charles E. Tuttle Co.

Ohe, Saburo(1967)
Gairaigo-tyuu no sokuon ni kansuru ichii koosatus [A Study of
Gemination in Foreign Loanwords], Onsei no kenkyuu, 13, 111-121

Ono, Koji(1991)
Gairaito tositeno eigo no sokuon-ka ni tusite [ On Gemination in
English Loanwords], Gengo Kenkyuu, 100, 67-88

Pak, Hwa-ja (1986) Western loanwords in Japanese, Stockholm University

Paradis, Carole and LaChariti, Darlene(1996)
 'Saving and Cost in Loanword Adaptation: Predictions of the
TCRS-Phonological Model', McGill Working Papers in Linguistics, v. 11
1 & 2, pp. 46-84

Picerd, M ( ?     ) Loanwords and concrete Phonology

Poster, W(1986)
'Japanese Evidence Bearing on the Compensatory Lengthening
Controversy', Studies in Compensatory Lengthening, (eds. Wetzels,
L. and E.  Sezer ), Dordrecht: Foris

Quackenbuch, Hiroko and Ohso, Mieko(1990)
'Gairaigo no keisei to sono kyooiku'
[Loanword Formation and the Teaching Theory], Tokyo: Kokuritsu Kokugo
Kenkyuujo

Sato, Hirokazu (1989)
Gairaigo akusento no bunseki to kisokuka (Accent Analysis and
Palcement of Japanese loanwords), in Nihon onkyoogakkai
kooenronbunshuu

Sato, Hirokazu (19    )
Gairaigo wo zairyoo to shita akusento no kentoo- koozoo to rizumuni
chakumoku shite- in Monbushoo juutenryooiki kenkyuu nihongo onsee
D1han heesee 4 nendo kenkyuu seika hookokusho

Silverman, D (1992)
'Multiple scansions in loanword phonology: evidence from
Cantonese', Phonology 9, p289-328

Sato, H. (1993) Gairaigo o zairyoo to shita akusento no kentoo: Koozoo
to rizumu nichakumokushite,Monbushoo juuten ryoiki kenkyuu "Nihongo
Onsei" D1 han Heisei 4 nendoKenkyuu seeka hookokusho.

Takagi, N and V. Mann (1994)
A Perceptual Basis for the Systematic Phonological Correspondences
between Japanese Loan Words and their English Source Words,Journal of
Phonetics 22, 343-356.

Tsuchida, A. (1995)
English Loans in Japanese: Constraints in Loanword
Phonology.WCCFL 14

Kubo, Miori (1990)
Domain and Principles of Japanese Word Accent, Cambridge,
MA:MIT, ms

Tabata, Toshiyuki(1986)
'Nihongo no onsetsu koozoo to moora' [Japanese Syllable Structure and
Morae], Ooyoo gengogaku kooza, vol.2, Tokyo: Meiji Shoin

Tsujimura, N
An Introduction to Japanese Linguistics, Blackwell

Ura, Hiroyuki (1995)
'A Metrical Optimality-Theoretical Approach ot Gemination and
Epenthesis in Japanese Loanword Phonology', Osaka University Papers in
English Linguistics, 2, 153-196

Van Coetsem, Frans(1988)
Loan Phonology and the Two Transfer Types in Language Contact,
Dordrecht: Foris

Vance, T(1987) A
An Intorduction to Japanese Phonology, Albany, NY:SUNY Press

Yip, M (1990)
'The Phonology of Cantonees loanwords', New Directions in Chinese

Linguistics, (ed. J. Packard), Dordrecht: Klower

Yip, M(1993)
Cantonese Loanword Phonology and Optimality Theory, Journal of
East Asian Linguistics, 2, 261-291

Yoshiba, H(1981)
'The Mora constraint in Japanese Phonology, Linguistic Analysis, 7,
241-262

For the study of loanwords from various aspects of linguistics,
   The following book contains the list of references (from 1891 to 1979)
 related to
loanwords.

Hida, Y (1981) Eibei gairaigo no sekai, Nanundoo, Japan

Forthcoming articles, papers, presentation on loanwords:

Ms Mafuyu Kitahara
on Consonant Gemination and accent in Japanese loanwords in  FAJL2

Ms Kie M Ross
on Tagalog loanwords in ALFA III