7.1124, Qs: Hebrew modals, Grammaticalization, Chance correspondences

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Aug 8 19:46:59 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1124. Thu Aug 8 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  188

Subject: 7.1124, Qs: Hebrew modals, Grammaticalization, Chance correspondences

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Thu, 08 Aug 1996 14:00:53 +0200
From:  S0680605 at let.rug.nl ("B. Koole")
Subject:        Hebrew modals

2)
Date:  Wed, 07 Aug 1996 15:35:02 PDT
From:  fjn at u.washington.edu (Frederick Newmeyer)
Subject:  Grammaticalization

3)
Date:  Thu, 08 Aug 1996 15:07:23 +1000
From:  ICASULE at ocs1.ocs.mq.edu.au
Subject:        chance correspondences

Date:  Thu, 08 Aug 1996 14:00:53 +0200
From:  S0680605 at let.rug.nl ("B. Koole")

Hello,

I am looking for a grammarbook in which I can find the hebrew modals.
Please reply directly to me at bkoole at rug.let.nl

Thanks a lot,

Greetings Bauke
Date:  Wed, 07 Aug 1996 15:35:02 PDT
From:  fjn at u.washington.edu (Frederick Newmeyer)

Most of the writings on grammaticalization stress its purported
*unidirectionality* -- lexical categories become functional categories
which become clitics which become affixes, but the reverse is said to
never (or almost never) happen.

My impression is that in the history of English, the reverse process has
happened many times. In particular, prepositions have often been
reanalyzed as nouns, verbs, or adjectives. Some examples:

P becoming V: 'down three drinks'; 'up the stakes'; 'off the pigs' (1960s
protesters slogan).

P becoming N: 'inn' (from P 'in'); 'bye' (from P 'by'); 'out' (in sports
or as in 'I have an out'); 'behind' (i.e. buttocks); 'in' (as in 'I have
an in').

P becoming A: predicative 'for' and 'against' ('how many of you are
against?'); 'near'; 'through' (in the sense of 'finished'); 'on' and 'off'
('I'm just not on today'); 'behind' (we've never been so behind').

There seem to be cases of prepositions that derive historically from
nouns, which then *reconverted* to nounhood. I think that this is the
case with nouns like 'inside', 'outside', 'front' (in certain usages).

I'm not 100% sure of the etymology of some of the above, but if most
of these changes actually happened, it is possible that a majority of
English prepositions have actually 'upgraded', contrary to the claims
in much writing on grammaticalization.

Some questions:

1. Are there more examples of such changes from the history of English?

2. What about other languages? I am not so interested in isolated
examples of upgrading, but in wholesale upgrading, as seems to have
occurred with English prepositions.  (I am aware of discussions by
Brian Joseph and Rich Janda of similar phenomena, but wonder if there
is a more extensive literature.)

3. What are the consequences for theories of grammaticalization?

Thanks. I'll summarize if there is enough interest.

Fritz Newmeyer
fjn at u.washington.edu