7.1127, Qs: Arabic, Missionary, Hebrew, Applied ling

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Aug 11 14:09:34 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1127. Sun Aug 11 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  109

Subject: 7.1127, Qs: Arabic, Missionary, Hebrew, Applied ling

Date:  Thu, 08 Aug 1996 12:02:21 CDT
From:  Mark at dragonsys.com (Mark Mandel)
Subject:   Spoken Modern Standard Arabic

2)
Date:  Thu, 08 Aug 1996 17:56:54
From:  grzelak at hum.amu.edu.pl (Szymon Grzelak)
Subject:  Language of Jehovah's Witnesses.

3)
Date:  Thu, 08 Aug 1996 17:12:09 EDT
From:  BrownDeb at aol.com
Subject:  Q: Hebrew linguistics

4)
Date:  Sat, 10 Aug 1996 16:50:54 +0200
From:  jmd at language.ou.dk (John Dienhart)
Subject:  Q: AAAL

Date:  Thu, 08 Aug 1996 12:02:21 CDT
From:  Mark at dragonsys.com (Mark Mandel)

What kinds of differences are there in Modern Standard Arabic as
spoken across the Arab world? I am aware of the scope of
differences between regional vernaculars; I am interested here in
the acrolect.

I am more concerned with secular contexts than with religious
ones. I am interested in both written and (especially) spoken
variation, in such environments as newscasts and lectures. If MSA
is used also in more impromptu contexts, such as perhaps panel
discussions, I would be quite interested in them as well.

I would appreciate both direct information and pointers to printed
or Web sources. If there is interest, I will summarize responses
for the list.

                Mark A. Mandel : mark at dragonsys.com
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02160, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com/