7.1131, Disc: Arabic Sign Language

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Aug 12 13:02:34 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1131. Mon Aug 12 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  156

Subject: 7.1131, Disc: Arabic Sign Language

Date:  Thu, 08 Aug 1996 15:43:07 PDT
From:  hendrik at uvic.ca
Subject:  Arabic Sign Language

2)
Date:  Fri, 09 Aug 1996 10:08:54 +0300
From:  wsandler at research.haifa.ac.il (Wendy Sandler)
Subject:  (Sign) Language Instinct

3)
Date:  Fri, 09 Aug 1996 07:02:55 EDT
From:  danr at inetw.net (Dan&Alysse)
Subject:  ArabicSL

Date:  Thu, 08 Aug 1996 15:43:07 PDT
From:  hendrik at uvic.ca

Re the contribution from dharris at las-inc.com (Dave Harris):

[...]
>It
>makes so much more sense, though, to teach them ASL so that they'll
>have the ability to communicate with other deaf people outside
>Tunis. Yes, some amount of literacy in Arabic would be nice, but it's
>already such a huge job to teach hearing kids literary Arabic that I
>wouldn't even know where to start in teaching it to deaf kids. Of
>course, they should be able to read signs, maybe newspapers,
>whatever. I believe, however, that it would take a tenth the time to
>teach them to read a novel in English or French than in Arabic.
[...]
>I go along with the
>others in saying that ASL/FSL is the answer.

I suspect that many Arabs would consider an attempt at teaching their deaf
fellow citizens a sign language that makes it easier to read a novel in
French or English than to read Arabic some variant of cultural imperialism.

Aside from that, since languages (including ASL/FSL) cannot be culturally
neutral (value free) it seems inappropriate to suggest ASL/FSL as a first
choice for deaf people in any Arabic country. An exisiting and more widely
used sign language from within the Arab world would be more appropriate.