7.1138, Disc: Multilinguality

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Aug 13 15:42:08 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1138. Tue Aug 13 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  101

Subject: 7.1138, Disc: Multilinguality

Date:  Mon, 12 Aug 1996 11:00:20 BST
From:  A.P.Grant at bradford.ac.uk (AP GRANT)
Subject:  Re: Multilinguality: a note

2)
Date:  Mon, 12 Aug 1996 09:23:00 EDT
From:  kvt at husc.harvard.edu (Karl Teeter)
Subject:  Re: 7.1129, Disc: Multilinguality

Date:  Mon, 12 Aug 1996 11:00:20 BST
From:  A.P.Grant at bradford.ac.uk (AP GRANT)

To the multiple recipients of the list:

Antonio Ruiz Mariscal's recent posting about Mezzofanti mentioned
"Californian".  Since languages belonging to 20 different groups were
spoken in California at that time, some clarification may be welcome.
I suspect that the language referred to is Luisen~o, a Takic (and
therefore Uto-Aztecan) language of San Luis Rey, which still has a
handful of speakers.  That there were people who spoke that language
in Rome is known for a fact, since at least two students who were
Luisen~o-speakers were sent to Rome to study for the priesthood.  (I
know of two, and there may have been more.)  The most famous was Pablo
Tac, who died aged nineteen, and who compiled a grammatical
description and part of a dictionary of Luisen~o. The dictionary
fragment was published by Carlo Tagliavini in the 1930s, and his
grammar was extensively discussed in an article in the International
Journal of American Linguistics by Sandra Chung in 1974.  Tac knew
Latin, Spanish and Italian in addition to his native language.

As for modern polyglots, I'd say that Eric Hamp, of the University of
Chicago, should figure in any listing.  I met him in Amsterdam in December
1994 and heard him use at least six languages in one day.  To my certain
knowledge, the languages which he's comfortable in speaking include
Serbo-Croat, Scots Gaelic and Albanian.

Dr Anthony P. Grant
University of Bradford