7.1140, FYI: PhD scholarships, Queensland lang and law, Frisian

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Aug 13 16:30:57 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1140. Tue Aug 13 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  119

Subject: 7.1140, FYI: PhD scholarships, Queensland lang and law, Frisian

Date:  Thu, 08 Aug 1996 10:25:55 +1000
From:  Laurie.Bauer at vuw.ac.nz (Laurie Bauer)
Subject:  PhD Scholarships

2)
Date:  Fri, 09 Aug 1996 13:01:40 +1000
From:  jsiegel at metz.une.edu.au (Jeff Siegel)
Subject:  Report on aboriginal witnesses in Queensland

3)
Date:  Mon, 12 Aug 1996 15:39:56 BST
From:  henk at fa.knaw.nl (Henk Wolf)
Subject:  Frisian

Date:  Thu, 08 Aug 1996 10:25:55 +1000
From:  Laurie.Bauer at vuw.ac.nz (Laurie Bauer)

The following advertisement has appeared in the press:
"Victoria University of Wellington New Zealand
Te Whare Waananga o te Upoko o te Ika a Maui
*SCHOLARSHIPS*
At Victoria we take our research very seriously.

Our scholarships are targetted towards current research strengths and
are also provided as a base for those undertaking general postgraduate
study.  You can apply for a scholarship if you're intending to work
towards a PhD in our strongest research areas.  These are: ...  New
Zealand Language Corpora A PhD scholarship will give you $11,000 [NZ$1
n=3D =A30.44, US$0.66, AU$0.86] per annum for 2 and a half years (with
provision for an extension of up to six months).  There will be some
reimbursement of tuition fees.  Graduates from any university within
or outside NZ are welcome to apply.  Applications close on 1 October
1996.

For further information, please phone 64-4-495 5113, or E-mail
graduate-students at vuw.ac.nz" The local corpora available for analysis
include the Wellington Corpus of Written New Zealand English (parallel
to LOB), the New Zealand ICE Corpus, the Wellington Corpus of Spoken
New Zealand English (1 million words) and other smaller collections of
data, covering a number of styles, and speakers of different
ethnicities, genders, ages, etc.  These allow lexical, grammatical and
phonetic analysis to be done.  For academic queries please contact
Laurie.Bauer at vuw.ac.nz or Paul.Warren at vuw.ac.nz.

Laurie.BAUER at vuw.ac.nz
Department of Linguistics, Victoria University, PO Box 600, Wellington, New
Zealand
Ph: +64 4 472 1000 x 8800  Fax: +64 4 495 5057