7.1152, Disc: Arabic Sign Language

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Aug 15 15:56:29 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1152. Thu Aug 15 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  151

Subject: 7.1152, Disc: Arabic Sign Language

Date:  Wed, 14 Aug 1996 08:20:08 -0800
From:  hendrik at uvic.ca
Subject:  Disc: Arabic Sign Language

2)
Date:  14 Aug 1996 14:50:40 CDT
From:  TWRIGHT at ACCDVM.ACCD.EDU
Subject:  Arabic Sign Language

Date:  Wed, 14 Aug 1996 08:20:08 -0800
From:  hendrik at uvic.ca

Dave Harris <dharris at las-inc.com> wrote:

>Pardon me for
>saying so, but all this talk of cultural imperialism is a little
>ridiculous in my opinion.

My previous comment on that issue was based on the experiences i had
while living and working with Saudis, Sudanese, and Egyptians in Saudi
Arabia: i noticed that the perception of cultural imperialism was
quite alive, and unfortunately my German and British co-workers seemed
to be doing all they could to re-inforce that...

>If you want to criticize someone for
>exercising undue cultural imperialism in the Arabic world, I can give
>you a list of American tobacco companies and soft drink manufacturers
>for starters. [...]

You are absolutely correct!

>I still think that you
>ought to get with the deaf people themselves and see what they want.

Absoulutely - but, as i believe, not exclusively...

>You certainly shouldn't rely on what other Arabs want.

I must disagree, but not for linguistic reasons but for psychological
/ socialogical / political reasons: it will be *very* important to
consider what the non-deaf people want when developing a SL within
Arab culture(s) because Arabs are, as far as i my own experience goes,
*very* aware of 'values' and 'culture' - be it as Muslims (where
applicable) or as Arabs (as opposed to 'non-Arabs' or 'Westerners')
who esteem their own culture and history and often feel patronised by
outsiders. Cultural sensitivity is of much higher importance in *any*
teaching / developmental situation in the 'non-Western' world than we
tend to believe - to wit, alosh.1 at osu.edu (Mahdi Alosh) wrote:

>As an Arab, I have been offended by
>the strong suggestions by some repondents to stay away from any
>Arabic-based sign language.

Keeping in mind the question that started this discussion, an answer
must be looked for as much outside of the confines of linguistic
science as inside it...

Thanks: Hendrik