7.1154, Qs: Nasal vowels, Differential substitution, Apostrophes

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Aug 15 16:20:57 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1154. Thu Aug 15 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  140

Subject: 7.1154, Qs: Nasal vowels, Differential substitution, Apostrophes

Date:  Wed, 14 Aug 1996 15:51:35 EDT
From:  r26670 at er.uqam.ca (robert boivin)
Subject:  Borrowing nasal vowels

2)
Date:  Wed, 14 Aug 1996 15:44:05 MDT
From:  amteasda at acs.ucalgary.ca (Allison Mary Teasdale)
Subject:  Qs: Phonetics of differential substitution of fricatives

3)
Date:  Thu, 15 Aug 1996 14:22:25 BST
From:  jons at ais.co.uk (Jonathan Swift)
Subject:  Apostrophe s plurals

Date:  Wed, 14 Aug 1996 15:51:35 EDT
From:  r26670 at er.uqam.ca (robert boivin)

Borrowing nasal vowels:

I am currently working on what happens to nasal vowels when words that
contain them are borrowed by languages that lack nasal vowels.  For
instance, English, which lacks nasal vowels, has borrowed many words
from French that have nasal vowels in the source language,
e.g. restaurant, detente ...  In all French nasal vowels the source of
the nasality is local. That is, underlyingly the nasality belongs
either to a following consonant (restoraNt, detaNt, etc.), for some
authors, or to the vowel itself, which is underlying nasal for other
authors. Under both analyses, the nasality is local: underlyingly its
source is next to the vowel or in the vowel itself.  I am looking for
cases of borrowings where the nasality is not local. These would be
cases where phonetic nasal vowels are underlyingly oral and are formed
by nasal harmony: the source of the nasality would not be adjacent to
the surface nasal vowel. My interest is in determining what happens to
such derived, non-local, nasal vowels when words that contain them are
borrowed by languages that lack nasal vowels.  European languages
don't have non-local nasal vowels, so they are probably irrelevant. On
the other hand South American languages often have nasal harmonies.
Does anyone know of studies showing that words with non-local nasal
vowels in these languages were borrowed by languages without nasal
vowels, e.g.  Spanish?  I would be grateful for information based on
this or any other language family.  As I am not a regular Linguist
List subscriber, I would appreciate that answers be sent directly to
me at: Prunet.jean-francois at uqam.ca or, as this is joint work in
progress, to Carole Paradis at: CAROLPAR at VM1.ULAVAL.CA

Thank you for your collaboration.

Jean-Francois Prunet
Prunet.jean-francois at uqam.ca