7.1160, Disc: Multilinguality

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Aug 16 16:20:08 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1160. Fri Aug 16 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  138

Subject: 7.1160, Disc: Multilinguality

Date:  Wed, 14 Aug 1996 08:52:46 EDT
From:  kvt at husc.harvard.edu (Karl Teeter)
Subject:  Re: 7.1138, Disc: Multilinguality

2)
Date:  Wed, 14 Aug 1996 18:18:27 +0200
From:  waruno at fritz-haber-institut.mpg.de (Waruno Mahdi)

3)
Date:  Thu, 15 Aug 1996 08:39:55 +0300
From:  druuskan at cc.helsinki.fi (Deborah D K Ruuskanen)

Date:  Wed, 14 Aug 1996 08:52:46 EDT
From:  kvt at husc.harvard.edu (Karl Teeter)

Dear Colleagues: This is the third time I have allowed myself to
inject an anecdote in place of solid research data (pace Dick) into
this discussion, so I owe everybody who objects a triple apology. But
Anthony Grant has now entered my dear friend and colleague Eric Hamp
into the multilingual sweepstakes (which, unassuming as Eric is, he
richly deserves)and my loose tongue begs me to reveal one of those
made-up stories long(at least ten years) circulating as a
conversational joke in LSA circles.The two real people involved are
I. J. Gelb (scholar on the history of writing) and Eric, both
University of Chicago professors (I beg Eric to forgive me), and the
story goes as follows: A reporter for the undergraduate newspaper at
the University of Chicago reads a report in which Gelb is said to
claim he speaks eighty languages, and goes to interview Eric:

	Q. Professor Hamp, how many languages do you speak?
	A. (Eric carefully explains, with suitable Hamp prolixity
{sorry again, Eric}, that linguistics is about studying grammar and
history, not about speaking languages.)
	Q. But Professor Hamp, Professor Gelb says he speaks eighty
languages.
	A. He does, does he?  Put me down for ninety-two!

 Actually, friends, I think anecdote has more of a place in our
discipline than it has been allowed! Thanks for your indulgence.
Yours, kvt