7.1163, Qs: Full/Empty categories, Epistemic Use of _shall_, Varbrul

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Aug 17 20:40:09 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1163. Sat Aug 17 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  105

Subject: 7.1163, Qs: Full/Empty categories, Epistemic Use of _shall_, Varbrul

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Fri, 16 Aug 1996 00:05:00 +0900
From:  PXX06625 at niftyserve.or.jp ("PXX06625 at niftyse")
Subject:  full/empty delayed

2)
Date:  Fri, 16 Aug 1996 11:36:48 -0100
From:  M.Shuib at sheffield.ac.uk ("M.Shuib")To: linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Subject:  Epistemic Use of _shall_

3)
Date:  Fri, 16 Aug 1996 15:10:27 -0300
From:  razky at marajo.secom.ufpa.br (abdou razky)
Subject:  varbrul program?

Date:  Fri, 16 Aug 1996 00:05:00 +0900
From:  PXX06625 at niftyserve.or.jp ("PXX06625 at niftyse")

Re: about the posting -empty & full-

Some time ago I posted a question about recent publications on the
empty/full distinction in the theory of parts of speech. Also, I am
very interested in your opinions concerning this important
distinction.

Several members of the list indicated that they would be interested in
a summary of the responses.  I would be glad to summarize the
still optimistic about the future feedback of this posting, since the
empty/full distinction seems to be connected with a number of other
issues, such as grammaticalization, semantic bleaching, the open class
vs. closed set dichotomy, iconicity, etc.

The only response I received the other day contains the interesting
statement that the 'full' vs. 'empty' distinction in grammar was first
introduced by Vendryes, closely following Meillet's distinction
between mots lexicales and mots outiles.

I wonder if you have any comment on this particular point.  I hope
that those who have indicated their interest in a summary and a
(reasonably complete) bibliography will get both in a short while.

Best wishes,
Laszlo

CSERESNYESI, Laszlo
Shikoku Gakuin University