7.1170, Disc: Grammaticalization

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Aug 19 04:02:31 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1170. Sun Aug 18 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  136

Subject: 7.1170, Disc: Grammaticalization

Editor for this issue: aristar at tam2000.tamu.edu (Anthony Rodrigues Aristar)

Date:  Sat, 17 Aug 1996 20:50:12 +0200
From:  martinha at zedat.fu-berlin.de (Martin Haspelmath)
Subject:  Disc: Grammaticalization

2)
Date:  Sun, 18 Aug 1996 15:54:18 BST
From:  oesten at ling.su.se (Oesten Dahl)
Subject:  Re: 7.1158, Sum: Grammaticalization

Date:  Sat, 17 Aug 1996 20:50:12 +0200
From:  martinha at zedat.fu-berlin.de (Martin Haspelmath)

Frederick Newmeyer very boldly challenges a number of widespread
assumptions concerning grammaticalization, which I hope will spark the
debate that these issues deserve.

Newmeyer is obviously right that reconstructed changes cannot be taken as
evidence for a theory of language change, so we must be very careful.
However, the directionality of change is very often evident even if the
change is reconstructed; and, most importantly, certain changes recur
again and again in languages, so the sheer mass of cases counts in favor
of certain reconstructions. If a different direction of change is much
less plausible in a large number of cases, you begin to feel very
confident. However, the importance of the work on African languages comes
mainly from the fact that it shows that the kinds of changes attested in
European languages are not genetically or areally restrcited.

But Newmeyer is wrong in denying unidirectionality. His examples of
P-to-V changes mostly show conversion (or zero-derivation), i.e. a
word-formation process, which is different from ordinary change. I.e. by
coining a verb 'to down' from the adverb 'down', we add a new lexeme to
the language. It would be quite wrong to say that the adverb 'down' turns
into a verb 'down'. Unidirectionality thus applies only to ordinary
changes, not to extensions of the lexicon by means of productive
word-formation. (Though of course even here true examples of P-derived
verbs are rare, cf. '*to for', '*to of', '*to with'; 'down', 'up',
'behind' etc. are primarily adverbs.)

In fact, unidirectionality is one of the main reasons why
grammaticalization is so important (I don't care if you call it
an epiphenomenon--which it probably is, like all complex phenomena).
By denying the unity of grammaticalization changes, one would not be able
to account for the fact that semantic and formal changes generally go
hand in hand, i.e. units become desemanticized and phonologically eroded
at the same time.
I agree with Newmeyer that grammaticalization needs to be explained with
reference to factors such as speech production and perception (i.e.
'performance'), but somebody has to do it (just like some physicist has
to come up with a theory for explaining the mixing behavior of ice
cream) -- that is, we need a theory of grammaticalization. If linguists look
only at competence, they cannot understand the vast majority of
language changes, and a large portion of synchronic language structure.

To my mind, the existing functionalist literature on grammaticalization
has not been very good at explaining the unidirectionality of most of
language change. But the Chomskyan literature has not even recognized the
unidirectionality of most of language change. In their recent book
"Clause structure and language change", Battye and Roberts say that
"language change is essentially a random walk through the space of
possible parameter settings". If this were the case, why is
grammaticalization so pervasive?

Martin Haspelmath (Free University of Berlin)