7.1183, Disc: Multilinguality, Grammaticalization

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Aug 25 03:02:59 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1183. Sat Aug 24 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  90

Subject: 7.1183, Disc: Multilinguality, Grammaticalization

Date:  Fri, 16 Aug 1996 17:21:22 EDT
From:  macrakis at osf.org (Stavros Macrakis)
Subject:  Multilinguality

2)
Date:  Mon, 19 Aug 1996 08:32:44 EDT
From:  pesetsk at MIT.EDU (David Pesetsky)
Subject:  Re: 7.1170, Disc: Grammaticalization

Date:  Fri, 16 Aug 1996 17:21:22 EDT
From:  macrakis at osf.org (Stavros Macrakis)

In 7.1160, Waruno Mahdi <waruno at fritz-haber-institut.mpg.de> says that
some rather superficial features (notably pronunciation) can convince
native speakers that you "speak their language" for a few minutes.
Quite true, especially for less well-known languages!  If you can say
"A pleasure to meet you" with a competent accent in, say, Slovenian or
Laz/Lazuri, you risk a reply you cannot understand.

But it is sometimes better to speak a non-standard (but widely
recognized) dialect so that your errors can be attributed to dialectal
difference.  I once ran into an American in London who had mastered a
Yorkshire accent well enough to fool Londoners, but not those from
Yorkshire.

This relates to an earlier comment in 7.1074: Antonio Mariscal
<mariscal at server.ciatec.ciateq.mx> reports that "Byron had to admit
that Mezzofanti could speak every one of those languages better than
most natives".  Now that is a peculiar remark if we take native
competence as the highest standard.  What could it mean?  In my
experience, being told that one speaks "better than a native" means
speaking a more formal, high-class version of the language, or obeying
the rules of formal grammars.  In Mezzofanti's context, that might
well have meant the language of Bible translations, or using Latinate
vocabulary, syntax, and phraseology (calques), or using elaborate (but
regular and easy-to-learn) constructions rather than simple (but
idiomatic) ones.

	-s