7.1191, Qs: L2 acquisition, Clinical ling textbook, Round vowels

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Aug 26 03:55:16 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1191. Sun Aug 25 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  115

Subject: 7.1191, Qs: L2 acquisition, Clinical ling textbook, Round vowels

Date:  Fri, 23 Aug 1996 12:08:00 +0200
From:  clr at maties.sun.ac.za
Subject:  Second language acquisition as pidginisation

2)
Date:  Fri, 23 Aug 1996 08:33:14 EDT
From:  dgil at UDel.Edu (David Gil)
Subject:  Clinical Linguistics textbook?

3)
Date:  Sun, 25 Aug 1996 12:16:55 PDT
From:  walker at ling.ucsc.edu (Rachel Walker)
Subject:  round vowels

Date:  Fri, 23 Aug 1996 12:08:00 +0200
From:  clr at maties.sun.ac.za

Does anybody know of recent (from the mid-80s onward) linguistic
analyses of L2 learner language undertaken to test Schumann's
pidginisation theory of L2 acquisition?

I would also welcome references to studies which investigate a
possible relationship between structural properties (i.e. syntactic,
morphological and/or phonological properties) of L2 learner language
and the socio-psychological variable of integrative orientation as
characterised by Gardner. ('Integrative orientation' is defined as
follows by Gardner: "An integrative orientation refers to that class
of reasons that suggest that the individual is learning a second
language in order to learn about, interact, with, or become closer to,
the second language community."- Gardner, RC.  1985. Social psychology
and second language learning, p. 54.)

Please reply to me directly and I will post a summary to the list.

Cecile le Roux

  Cecile le Roux                     | Cecile le Roux
  Departement Algemene Taalwetenskap | Department of Linguistics
  Universiteit van Stellenbosch      | University of Stellenbosch
  7600 STELLENBOSCH                  | 7600 STELLENBOSCH
  SUID-AFRIKA                        | SOUTH AFRICA

  Tel:  021 808 2007                 | Fax:  021 808 2009

Date:  Fri, 23 Aug 1996 08:33:14 EDT
From:  dgil at UDel.Edu (David Gil)

Can anybody recommend a good textbook for an introductory course in
Clinical Linguistics?

(There is a possibility that I will be teaching such a course in the
future, and would appreciate any relevant tips.)

Please respond directly to my email address.  (If the response is
substantial, I may post a summary on the list.)

Thanks,

David Gil
dgil at strauss.udel.edu
Date:  Sun, 25 Aug 1996 12:16:55 PDT
From:  walker at ling.ucsc.edu (Rachel Walker)

Does anyone know of any languages in which round vowels or a subset of
the round vowels only occur in noninitial syllables when the initial
syllable is also round? I am looking for cases in which this
distribution is independent of vowel harmony, so there would also be
words in the language where unrounded vowels occur in syllables
following an initial round vowel.

Thanks for your help,
Rachel Walker