7.1195, Qs: "unsubscribe",Cross-cultural communication,"direct object"

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Aug 26 04:36:46 UTC 1996

Date:  Wed, 21 Aug 1996 13:23:28 EDT
From:  rowe at email.unc.edu (Charlie Rowe)

Date:  Wed, 21 Aug 1996 12:49:56 MDT
From:  dcwalker at acs.ucalgary.ca ("Douglas C. Walker")
Subject:  Query: Programmes in Cross-cultural Communication

3)
Date:  Sun, 25 Aug 1996 17:39:44 +0200
From:  eloufjdb at cetus.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE ("Dr. Elke Hentschel")
Subject:  Qs: term "direct object"

Date:  Wed, 21 Aug 1996 13:23:28 EDT
From:  rowe at email.unc.edu (Charlie Rowe)

I'd like to gather some judgements on the choice of preposition with
the verb "unsubscribe". I.e.,

to unsubscribe TO a list *OR*
to unsubscribe FROM a list

The fact that "unsubscribe" is likely a neologism may affect the
choice; its derivative status may also be a determining factor.

Thanks for your input. I will post a summary to the list.

Charlie Rowe
rowe at email.unc.edu