7.1203, Qs: Proverbial sayings, Metaphors, Ambiguous sentences

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Aug 31 23:54:01 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1203. Sat Aug 31 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  139

Subject: 7.1203, Qs: Proverbial sayings, Metaphors, Ambiguous sentences

Date:  Tue, 27 Aug 1996 09:48:08 +1000
From:  Bert.Peeters at modlang.utas.edu.au (Bert Peeters)
Subject:  Connotations of proverbial sayings

2)
Date:  Tue, 27 Aug 1996 11:55:24 CDT
From:  sondrol at csd.uwm.edu (Mark O Sondrol)
Subject:  Metaphors

3)
Date:  Thu, 29 Aug 1996 00:29:41 +0900
From:  echeon at interpia.net (Eung-Cheon Hah)
Subject:  Ambiguous or unambiguous ?

Date:  Tue, 27 Aug 1996 09:48:08 +1000
From:  Bert.Peeters at modlang.utas.edu.au (Bert Peeters)

The French proverbial saying "menager la chevre et le chou" tends to
have a negative overtone; it's the sort of behavior that is
discouraged in French (cf. also "donner une reponse de Normand", "ne
pas vouloir se mouiller"; source: Christine Beal, in *Langue
francaise* 98, 1993). How about the English saying "to sit on the
fence" (which is translated by Collins/Robert as "menager la chevre et
le chou")? Is it good or bad, in English, to sit on the fence? Does
the saying have a positive or a negative connotation?  I thank the
readership in advance for their enlightening comments and hope that
when summarizing I won't have to give a "reponse de Normand".

Bert Peeters

Dr Bert Peeters - Department of Modern Languages (French)
University of Tasmania, GPO Box 252-91, Hobart TAS 7001, Australia
Tel.: +61 (0)02 202344 -- from 31/08/1996: +61 (0)3 6226 2344
Fax.: +61 (0)02 207813 -- from 31/08/1996: +61 (0)3 6226 7813
E-mail: Bert.Peeters at modlang.utas.edu.au
http://info.utas.edu.au/docs/humsoc/modern_languages/peeters/peeters.htm
http://info.utas.edu.au/docs/humsoc/modern_languages/french/welcome.htm

PLEASE NOTE NEW GPO BOX NUMBER!!!