7.1700, Qs: Right-dislocation in English, Pronunciation of bury

The Linguist List linguist at unix.tamu.edu
Sun Dec 1 15:41:04 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1700. Sun Dec 1 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  109

Subject: 7.1700, Qs: Right-dislocation in English, Pronunciation of bury

Moderators: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar: Texas A&M U. <aristar at unix.tamu.edu>

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at unix.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: robinson at emunix.emich.edu (Susan Robinson)

Date:  Wed, 27 Nov 1996 16:36:13 +0100
From:  rosa at uvigo.es ("Rosa Perez Rodriguez")
Subject:  Right-dislocation in English

2)
Date:  Wed, 27 Nov 1996 14:18:53 MST
From:  RENRYDER at idbsu.idbsu.edu (Mary Ellen Ryder)
Subject:       Pronunciation of bury

Date:  Wed, 27 Nov 1996 16:36:13 +0100
From:  rosa at uvigo.es ("Rosa Perez Rodriguez")

Dear colleagues of LINGUIST,

This query is posted on behalf of a colleague of mine who does not
belong to the list:

- -------------------

I would be grateful if any LINGUIST-contributor could help me in the
following query: I assume, as is generally assumed in the literature,
that right-dislocation decreases in the history of the English
language. By 'right-dislocation' I understand that linguistic
phenomenon by means of which a certain constituent is detached from
the orthodox structure of the clause to a peripheral right position,
normally separated by means of a comma in writing or by a
suprasegmental break in spoken language. Such a right-dislocated
constituent is normally associated (either syntactically or
pragmatically) to another one within the clause. A typical example
would be:
     That's what I love, a banana.
As already pointed out, I assume that right-dislocated segments tend
to be integrated within clause structure (subcategorisation frame)
and right-dislocation is relegated to spoken careless language.
Do you agree with that? Has anybody got data corroboration such a
"feeling" (or maybe the opposite direction)?
I would appreciate it very much if you could send your answers NOT to
the sender's address but to:    jperez at uvigo.es
I shall post a summary of the replies on the list.

Javier Perez-Guerra
Faculty of Arts
University of Vigo, Spain
jperez at uvigo.es