7.1705, All: Introductions and Thanks

The Linguist List linguist at unix.tamu.edu
Tue Dec 3 02:35:32 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1705. Mon Dec 2 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  461

Subject: 7.1705, All: Introductions and Thanks

Moderators: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar: Texas A&M U. <aristar at unix.tamu.edu>

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at unix.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: aristar at unix.tamu.edu (Anthony Rodrigues Aristar)

Date:  Sun, 01 Dec 1996 19:31:49 EST
From:  linguist at unix.tamu.edu (The LINGUIST List)
Subject:  Introductions and Thanks

Date:  Sun, 01 Dec 1996 19:31:49 EST
From:  linguist at unix.tamu.edu (The LINGUIST List)

Dear LINGUIST Subscribers,

Last Thursday was the Thanksgiving holiday here in the U.S., so it
seems an appropriate time to express appreciation to those who donated
to the LINGUIST Editorial Support Fund in 1996 and to gratefully
acknowledge the hard work of our editorial staff.

First we want to thank our current LINGUIST Fellows, Ljuba Veselinova
(Eastern Michigan U.) and Ann Dizdar (Texas A&M U.).  It is largely
because of the dedication of these two experienced editors that
LINGUIST has been able, not only to continue its regular services, but
also to expand in various ways, e.g., to improve our web site, to
organize an online conference, and to assume maintenance of the
Virtual Library in linguistics.  Ann and Ljuba have assumed primary
responsibility for the day-to-day running of the List; and their
industry and reliable decision-making have freed the moderators to
plan and implement new services.

This year we also have two new staff members, whom we would like to
formally introduce to you now:

ANDREW CARNIE has taken over the job of Review Editor from Daniel
Seely, whose work as Moderator has become increasingly demanding.
Andrew is a Visiting Assistant Professor of Syntax at the University
of Michigan.  He is Canadian by birth and received his B.A. in
Linguistics and Celtic Studies from the University of Toronto.  He
received a Ph.D. in Linguistics from MIT in 1995, with a thesis
entitled, _Non-verbal Predication and Head Movement_.  In 1995-96 he
was a Post Doctoral Fellow at the University of Calgary and The
University of California, Santa Cruz, where he worked on the universal
properties of VSO languages and the derivation of VSO order.  His
research interests include Syntax in the Minimalist Program, Phrase
Structure, Non-Verbal Predication, Word Order, VSO languages, Celtic
Languages, and the Acquisition of Syntax.  His non- academic interests
include Balkan Folkdancing, Contra Dancing, Appalachian Clogging, Folk
music, good books and (he's a linguist, after all) cooking.

SUSAN ROBINSON, a graduate student at Eastern Michigan U., has joined
the staff as an Assistant Editor, replacing Anna Valdez.  Susan
received her B.A. in Creative Writing in 1991 at Evergreen State
College.  She spent the next couple of years in the mime/movement
theatre company Ground Zero, before returning to Michigan to pursue an
M.A. in linguistics.  She is currently interested in typology and
universals, psycholinguistics, and morphology; and she intends to go
on for a Ph.D. in linguistics.  She says that she is still
"interested in movement of any type", e.g., dance, fencing,
sailing, and chasing her black cat named Fledermaus.  To that list we
would add "typing at a computer," since Susan has been composing
LINGUIST issues for several months and has already become good at it.

And speaking of additions. . . . this year Ann Dizdar produced the
first LINGUIST baby (William Kirby, born Nov. 20, 1996, weight 10.5 lbs).
As soon as William is big enough to wear his LINGUIST T-shirt, we intend
to post his picture on the web site, to give idle readers a
change from the Gratuitous Pig.

But this diversion (and any others offered by LINGUIST) has been made
possible only by the generosity of those who donated to the LINGUIST
Editorial Support Fund.  As many of you know, LINGUIST is supported
almost entirely by donations to the Fund, which is used only to pay
graduate student editors.  Our universities provide tuition waivers
for the two LINGUIST fellowship holders and an additional graduate
assistantship for a third student editor.  But without the fund, there
would be no stipend for the two LINGUIST Fellows--and hence no
LINGUIST, since we are well beyond the point at which the list could
have been run without graduate student help.

If you would like to donate to the fund, please send your contribution
to:

	The LINGUIST Editorial Support Fund
	c/o Helen Aristar Dry
	Dept. of English Language and Literature
	Eastern Michigan U.
	Ypsilanti, MI  48197

Last summer we were some $5000 short of the money needed to fund the
LINGUIST fellowships; but our distress call was promptly responded to
by the people listed at the end of this message.  Because of them, we
have been able to retain Ann and Ljuba; and we can confidently solicit
applications for the LINGUIST Fellowships for next year.

Special thanks are due to Michael Bernstein for his offer to accept
credit card donations for LINGUIST via the Cascadilla Press web site
during the month of June.  We are also grateful to Deborah Coughlin
and the NLP team at Microsoft, for persuading Microsoft to make a
$2000 donation this year and pledge $1000 for each of the next two
years.  At the same time, we don't want to overlook other businesses
that have supported us consistently, year after year.  To that end, we
would like to remind you that most of the publishers listed below
contribute $500 a year to LINGUIST.  In return we post their book and
journal announcements; and now that LINGUIST has grown to over 8000
subscribers, these postings have substantial advertising value.  But
many of these publishers have supported us from the first, when their
contribution was simply a service to the discipline.

Most important, however, have been the contributions of individuals.
Businesses and academic institutions support us primarily because our
subscribers do.  (And only subscribers include good wishes along with
the checks.)  This year, as usual, over half of the money--and most
of the encouragement--was collected from individual subscribers.
Gratefully, we list their names below.

Helen, Anthony, and Daniel
LINGUIST Moderators

1996 Contributors

Valued Supporters (under $50)

Celso Alvarez-Caccamo
Anonymous-1
Anonymous-2
Nancy Ackles
Barbara Abbott
Julie Friend Alderfer
Ali-Asghar Aghbar
Yukiko Alam
Dan Alford
Alex Alsina
Amalia Arvaniti
M. Balhorn & J. Schneider
Francesca Bargiela
Karen Baumer
Robert Beard
Elabbas Benmamoun
Mayrene Bentley
Michael Bernstein
Stefano Bertolo
Janet Bing
Juergen Bohnemeyer
Zinny Bond
Mary Brehm
Carsten Breul
Wayles Browne
Susan Burt
Jose Camacho
R. Joe Campbell
Jose Carrasquel
Eugenia Casielles
Donna Christian
Virginia Clark
Mary Clayton
Linda Coleman
Sherri Condon
T. Copeck
Karen M. Davis
Ferdinand de Haan
Helga H. DeLisle
E. G. Di Fabio
Ursula Doleschal
William Dowling
Bruce Downing
Matthew Dryer
Timothy Dunnigan
Katarzyna Dziwirek
Mats Eeg-Olofsson
Suzette Haden Elgin
Elisabet Engdahl
Dominique Estival
Barbara Di Eugenio
Anna Fenyvesi
Susan R. Fiksdal
Sharon Flank
Suzanne Fleischman
Michael Flynn
Josep Fontana
Glenn Frankenfield
Stefan Frisch
Judith Fuller
Randall Gess
Frank Gladney
Keith Goeringer
Janine Graziano-King
Georgia Green
Patrick Griffiths
John Grinstead
Claire Gronemeyer
Fran Gulinello
Marie-Louise Hannan
Kirk Hazen
Kathy Heilenman
Christina Hellman
Gregor Hens
F. Heberlein
Nancy Hildebrandt
Caitlin Hines
Robert Hoberman
Kazuaki Hojo
Takeru Honma
Jonathan Hope
Alice Horning
Alex Housen
Mary Jane Hurst
Leonid Iomdin
Frances Ingemann
Dany Jaspers
J. B. Johannessen
Elaine Jones
Jon Jonz
Marion Kee
Andrew Kehler
Suzanne Kemmer
James Kilbury
Carolyn Kirkpatrick
Hiroaki Kitano
Charles Kite
Michael Kliffer
Myrna Knepler
Laura Knudsen
Laura Koenig
Charlotte Koster
Howard Kurtzman
Peter Ladefoged
Elsa Lattey
Chungmin Lee
Hyeran Lee
Tracey Leffin-Hedrick
Kevin Lesher
Joan Levinson
Donna L. Lillian
John Limber
Vern Lindblad
Pamela Lindell
Virginia LoCastro
Andrew Mackie
Stella Markantonatou
Stefan Martin
Sonia Maruenda
Gerald B. Mathias
Steve Matthews
Scott McGinnis
Miriam Meyers
Adele W. Miccio
Anita Mittwoch
Melanie Misanchuk
Regina Moorcroft
Karen Monk
Edith Moravcsik
Jerry Morgan
Larry Morgan
Rebecca L. Moreton, III
John A. Moyne
Yukiyoshi Nakamura
M. Newman & F. Ordonez
Bruce Nevin
Rogier Nieuweboer
Keigo Noda
A. Norcross
Richard Oehrle
Jan Oestedt
Kyoko Ohara
Nicholas Ostler
Carolyn Ostrander
Judith Parker
Mark Picard
Susan Pintzuk
Christer Platzack
Ori Pomerantz
Daniel Radzinski
R. Rakotomalala
Linda Rashidi
Lisa Reed
Nancy Reyering
Agnes Roman
Lawrence Rosenwald
Burton Rosner
Malcolm Ross
Charlie Rowe
Catherine Rudin
Robin Sabino
Vieri Samek-Lodovici
Liliana Sanchez
Lynn Santelmann
Yutaka Sato
Ronald Schaefer
W. Schwein
Sharon Shelly
Mary Schleppegrell
Andreas Schramm
Maarke Schoorlemmer
Carol Myers Scotton
Makoto Shimizu
Marylin N. Silva
Beth Lee Simon
Tomoko Yamashita Smith
Nicholas J. Sobin
Dan Slobin
Ute Smit
Janet S. Smith
Margaret Speas
Susan Steele
Rosemary Stevenson
Kjetil Strand
Whitney Tabor
Alain Thomas
TORONTO WORKING PAPERS
Lisa Travis
Trond Trosterud
J. Randolph Valentine
Guido vanden Wyngaerd
Elly van Gelderen
Barbara Vance
Timothy Vance
John te Velde
Jeff von Munkwitz-Smith
Margit Waas
Douglas C. Walker
Shana Walton
H. Todd Wareham
Todd Wareham
Ann Wehmeyer
Markell West
Deirdre Wheeler
Bjoern Wiemer
Carolyn Wiltshire
James Winters
Shuichi Yatabe
Yael Ziv
Cheryl Zoll
SICS (Kista, Sweden)

Patrons ($50 or more):

Anonymous
Lafi Alharbi
Shanley Allen
Garland Bills
Wayles Browne
Miriam Butt
R. Joe Campbell
Wannie Carstens
Cascadilla Press
Mary Clayton
Bernard Comrie
Franz Dotter
DRAGON SYSTEMS, INC
Julia Falk
Donald Freeman
Anthea Fraser Gupta
Kazuhiko Fukushima
Jim Harris
Barbara Herrarte
Michael Hess
Ykio Hirose
Richard Hudson
Karen Jensen
Uwe Junghanns
James Kirchner
Makoto Kondo
E. Liddy
Gerardo A. Lorenzino
Monica Macauley
Jeff Marck
Tadao Miyamoto
AUNL Monterrey
Lynne Murphy
Geoff Nunberg
Debora D. Kela Ruuskanen
Mari Olsen
Barbara Pearson
Ingo Plag
Gisela Redeker
Linda & Ernest Scatton
Steve Seegmiller
Kiyoshi Shimizu
Nancy Stenson
UCLA
Theo Vennemann
Thomas Wasow
Douglas Whalen
Peter White
Ronnie Wilbur
Margaret Winters
EDUCATIONAL TESTING SERVICE
WORLD PRESS (via. Cassian Branconnier)

Mainstays ($100 or more):

Anonymous
Catherine N. Ball
Jennifer Cole
Victoria Fromkin
James Jenkins
Yoshihiro Masuya
Tad Nishimura
Rebecca Passonneau
Kiroaki Tanaka
Karl V. Teeter

JOHN BENJAMINS
BLACKWELL
CSLI, STANFORD U.
Div. of Linguistics, ACADEMICA SINICA (Taiwan)
LINGUISTICS DEPT., U. OF S. CAROLINA (Stanley Dubinsky)
LAWRENCE ERLBAUM ASSOC., Inc., Publishers
GALA '95 CONFERENCE, U. of GRONINGEN
INDIANA UNIVERSITY LINGUISTICS CLUB
KLUWER ACADEMIC PUBLISHERS
LINGUISTIC ASSOC. OF GREAT BRITAIN
LINGUISTIC DATA CONSORTIUM
THE LINGUISTIC SOCIETY OF AMERICA
MACQUARIE DICTIONARY
M.I.T.
M.I.T. PRESS
MEMORIAL UNIVERSITY OF NEWFOUNDLAND
NDT Media
MICROSOFT
UNIVERSITY OF KONSTANZ: CONFERENCE ON "REFERENCE & ANAPHORICAL RELATIONS"
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS
PACIFICA PRESS, Australian National U.
ROUTLEDGE
SUMMER INSTITUTE OF LINGUISTICS, Inc.