7.1727, Qs: Benefective causative construction, Brand names, Mandarin

The Linguist List linguist at unix.tamu.edu
Sun Dec 8 12:14:37 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1727. Sun Dec 8 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  107

Subject: 7.1727, Qs: Benefective causative construction, Brand names, Mandarin

Moderators: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar: Texas A&M U. <aristar at unix.tamu.edu>

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at unix.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: dizdar at unix.tamu.edu (Ann Dizdar)

Date:  Mon, 02 Dec 1996 16:56:02 GMT
From:  BJuacaba at msn.com ("Beatriz Juacaba")
Subject:  Benefective causative construction

2)
Date:  02 Dec 1996 20:07:23
From:  Brent_Scarcliff at cch.com (Brent Scarcliff)
Subject:  Brand Names

3)
Date:  Mon, 02 Dec 1996 13:56:54 PST
From:  jxwang at sfu.ca (Jean Wang)
Subject:  Mandarin vowel system

Date:  Mon, 02 Dec 1996 16:56:02 GMT
From:  BJuacaba at msn.com ("Beatriz Juacaba")

Dear colleagues,

I need data from other languages related to the construction called
"benefective causative". Such constructions display a systematic
alternation between the thematic roles of "benefective" and
"agentive". In English we have, for example, 'I had my tooth pulled
out last week'. In Portuguese, my native language, we have no such
construction. We use "I'm going to pull my tooth out", and the
situational context disambiguates the interpretation of "I", making it
the benefactive rather than the agentive (the dentist will pull my
tooth out, not me). I know that many other languages (such as Arabic,
Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, and Thai) do not have the English
counterpart Have/Get + raised object + participle. I would very much
appreciate tokens from these languages, with their literal
translations and English glosses.If any other language, not mentioned
above, displays the same phenomenon, please let me know.

Thanks,
Beatriz Juacaba
Bjuacaba at msn.com
or