7.1730, FYI: New SignWriter Newsletter, Degas exhibit update

The Linguist List linguist at unix.tamu.edu
Sun Dec 8 12:42:20 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1730. Sun Dec 8 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  99

Subject: 7.1730, FYI: New SignWriter Newsletter, Degas exhibit update

Moderators: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar: Texas A&M U. <aristar at unix.tamu.edu>

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at unix.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: dizdar at unix.tamu.edu (Ann Dizdar)

Date:  Tue, 03 Dec 1996 15:00:58 PST
From:  DAC at SignWriting.org (SignWriting)
Subject:  New SignWriter Newsletter Posted

2)
Date:  Wed, 04 Dec 1996 15:27:16 CST
From:  ward at pg-13.ling.nwu.edu (Gregory Ward)
Subject:  Degas exhibit update

Date:  Tue, 03 Dec 1996 15:00:58 PST
From:  DAC at SignWriting.org (SignWriting)

December 2, 1996

Hello Everyone -

Today I posted a new issue of the SignWriter Newsletter on our
SignWriting Web Site at:

http://www.SignWriting.org

This new issue is written by Kevin Clark in ASL, his native
language. Kevin is a researcher at Salk Institute in La Jolla,
California, and is also a SignWriting instructor. Kevin tells how he
personally used SignWriting this Fall.

Starting in 1997, we plan to write the newsletter "down-the-page" in
columns. All of our Deaf DAC members have requested this. So this is
the last newsletter to be written from left to right. If you have
questions about why Deaf people want to write ASL down instead of
across (smile)...just ask us! I am sure there will be responses that
will be quite interesting!

Several people have written to me and asked if we couldn't place an
"English-word-equivalent" for each sign under the written SignWriting
to help them learn to read SignWriting? So this one time I decided to
do this, as well as adding the English translation at the bottom of
each page.

Ironically, Kevin mentions in the newsletter that people feel that
SignWriting is better than English gloss!

If for any reason, you wish to print the newsletter from the Web and
you have trouble doing so, I will be happy to mail you a print-out, or
I can send you a PICT or GIF file through email. Just write to me :-)

All good wishes for a very happy holiday -

Valerie Sutton
DAC at SignWriting.org
http://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC