7.1742, Disc: Analogy

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Dec 9 20:30:21 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1742. Mon Dec 9 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 7.1742, Disc: Analogy

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Software development: John H. Remmers <remmers at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 3 Dec 1996 23:38:48 -0500
From:  misrael at ucsd.edu (Michael Israel)
Subject:  Re: 7.1692, Disc: Analogy

2)
Date:  Wed, 4 Dec 1996 08:28:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:  "James L. Fidelholtz" <jfidel at cen.buap.mx>

3)
Date:  Sat, 30 Nov 1996 12:44:29 -0500 (EST)
From:  "Daniel L. Everett" <dever at verb.linguist.pitt.edu>

Date:  Tue, 3 Dec 1996 23:38:48 -0500
From:  misrael at ucsd.edu (Michael Israel)

This is in response to Stephen Straight's response to Peggy Speas'
reply to Esa Itkonnen's posting on analogy.  Peggy offers a standard
objection to analogy as an explanation of linguistic creativity.
The basic problem is how to constrain analogy so as to account for the
all of the analogies people do not make.  As Speas puts it,

>>To say that language works 'by
>> analogy' simply begs the question - which analogy?  Of course
>> English speakers draw analogies like the following:
>>
>> play : plays :: glark : glarks
>>
>> But Chomsky's point is that there are lots of reasonable
>> analogies that no English speaker ever draws.  Like:
>>
>> John is easy to please : To please John is easy ::
>>
>> John is eager to please : To please John is eager.
>>
>> So the question is WHY speakers make some analogies and not
>> others.  The claim is not that language cannot involve analogical
>> reasoning; it's just that you have to investigate WHICH analogies
>> are made and which ones aren't in order to get at the root of
>> knowledge of grammar.

I agree with Stephen that this is not a very compelling objection;
however, I think the reason is rather simpler than what he suggests.
The reason is just that the proposed analogy is not in fact reasonable at all.

Linguistic analogy (at least at the level of syntax, and probably morphology
as well) does not operate on formal structures alone; rather
it operates on form-meaning pairs. Thus while sentences with 'easy'
and sentences with 'eager' may appear formally similar, they in fact
encode, as is well-known, very different sorts of semantic relations
between their predicates and arguments.  Analogies between such
sentences are thus not made for the simple reason that such sentences
are not in fact analogous: they do not encode similar relations between
form and content.

Stephen suggests that the fact that researchers can come up with these
sorts of analogies shows that they are in fact possible. He then suggests
that the reason we find no evidence for such analogies is that they
present insurmountable problems to processing and/or comprehension
and are therefore suppressed.

The claim then is that a general mechanism of analogy plus general
constraints on processing can be relied on to explain which sorts of
analogical change do occur and which don't, all preferably without any
need for anything like an abstract (innate, encapsulated and domain-
specific) Universal Grammar.  As Stephen puts it:

>the ongoing interaction of the acquirer's developing comprehension
>and production processing -- which we need anyway -- forces
>various outcomes as the acquirer endeavors to make sense of input
>and to produce intelligible output -- without any need for
>innate, overarching principles of language structure.

To my mind, this is fine as far as it goes. But surely, in order for analogy
to operate at all, speakers must rely on linguistic structures of some sort
which they can feed into their analogical equations. And so in order to
have a theory of analogy, we will in fact require principles of language
structure of some sort.

My suggestion is just that since syntactic and morphological analogy
apparently require correspondences between both form and meaning
in linguistic structures, we might prefer a theory of linguistic structures
which allows us to capture such correspondences in a fairly direct way.

There is currently no shortage of such theories available on the theoretical
market.  Basically, any sign-based theory, one in which the basic linguistic
units are taken as pairings of form and meaning, will do. Cognitive Grammar,
Construction Grammar and HPSG spring to my mind.  I know there are others
that will spring to others' minds.

This of course does not solve the problem of deciding what sorts of
similarities speakers will draw between analogous structures.  But at least
it reduces the problem, or at least relates it, to the more general cognitive
problem of how people manage to make correspondences between distinct
conceptual structures in general, as between the structure of an atom and
that of the solar system, or between a complicated love affair and a
difficult journey through strange and dangerous lands.

The point is that analogy as an explanatory mechanism has not been vitiated,
even if it does remain in need of refinement.  The difficult cases should help
us make the needed refinements, both to the theory of analogy in general and
to our theories of the linguistic structures that might feed linguistic
analogies.

Michael Israel