7.1744, Qs: Modern Greek, Free web space, Teacher survey

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Dec 10 11:09:42 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1744. Tue Dec 10 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 7.1744, Qs: Modern Greek, Free web space, Teacher survey

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Software development: John H. Remmers <remmers at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 8 Dec 1996 16:24:17 GMT
From:  Nikos Sarantakos <sarant at innet.lu>
Subject:  Proverbial expressions in Modern Greek

2)
Date:  Sun, 08 Dec 1996 18:15:06 +0000
From:  Stefania Spina <sspina at mbox.vol.it>
Subject:  query: free web space

3)
Date:  Sun, 8 Dec 1996 14:59:46 -0500
From:  ftw201 at is6.nyu.edu (F. Timothy Walsh)
Subject:  Structure of English Teacher Survey

Date:  Sun, 8 Dec 1996 16:24:17 GMT
From:  Nikos Sarantakos <sarant at innet.lu>

Dear all,

I am studying proverbial expressions in Modern Greek.

A proverbial expression in Modern Greek is: "Tha gelasei kai to
pardalo katsiki", which may be translated as "Even the multi-coloured
goat will laugh at it", said about something totally ridiculous.
Trying to trace the origins of the phrase, I am wondering whether
there are any parallel forms in other languages.

Then, another expression, said about very clever and cunning persons, more
as a praise than otherwise, is "Einai diabolou kaltsa", i.e. "He is a
devil's sock". Does it ring any bells?

Thanks in advance

Nikos Sarantakos
sarant at innet.lu