7.1783, Qs: Moraic theory, Headlines lg, Persian

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Dec 18 02:03:27 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1783. Tue Dec 17 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 7.1783, Qs: Moraic theory, Headlines lg, Persian

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 16 Dec 1996 19:50:49 +0000
From:  "Paul de Lacy" <delacy at host02.net.voyager.co.nz>
Subject:  QUERY: Variably-Weighted CVCs

2)
Date:  Mon, 16 Dec 1996 16:08:43 +0000
From:  Jenny Halliday <FFB825 at UJVAX.ULST.AC.UK>
Subject:  Language of newspaper headlines

3)
Date:  Mon, 16 Dec 1996 20:37:25 +0000 (GMT)
From:  A A Jabbari <A.A.Jabbari at durham.ac.uk>
Subject:  Persian verb classes

Date:  Mon, 16 Dec 1996 19:50:49 +0000
From:  "Paul de Lacy" <delacy at host02.net.voyager.co.nz>

Dear Linguists,

I fear I must again post a query on a somewhat obscure matter,
but of significant import to me:

A moraic theory of the syllable predicts that syllables with
geminate consonants will always be heavy.  This is because
geminate consonants bear a mora, and so any syllable they appear
in will end up with two moras.  In other words, there are (or
should be) languages that treat CV:, CVV, and CVG syllables as
heavy (where G is the first half of a geminate consonant), and
CVC, CV syllables as light.

Counter-examples to this have appeared, where both CVC and CVG
are light.  Tranel (1991) cites Selkup, Malayalam, and
Tubatulabal.  Hayes (1995) adds Chuvash, Ossetic, and some
Algonquian languages.

My queries are this: (1) Can you please tell me if CVG syllables
are treated as light in any language that you know (of).

(2) Can you tell me if that language has diphthongs (CVV), and
treats them as heavy.

So far, I have found that Selkup, Malayalam, Tubatulabal,
Chuvash, and Ossetic do not have diphthongs.  -- Please let me
know if I'm wrong on this point.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Paul de Lacy.