7.1789, Qs: Greater/lesser plurals,Chimpanzee WH-qs

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Dec 18 16:44:44 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1789. Wed Dec 18 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 7.1789, Qs: Greater/lesser plurals,Chimpanzee WH-qs

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 16 Dec 1996 18:27:10 +0000
From:  Greville Corbett <G.Corbett at surrey.ac.uk>
Subject:  Query: Greater/lesser plurals

2)
Date:  Tue, 17 Dec 1996 14:38:47 +0900
From:  "yjkim at wow.hongik.ac.kr" <yjkim at wow.hongik.ac.kr>
Subject:  Wh-questions by chimpanzees

Date:  Mon, 16 Dec 1996 18:27:10 +0000
From:  Greville Corbett <G.Corbett at surrey.ac.uk>

Has anyone information on languages with a split in the plural into
greater/lesser plural (sometimes called unlimited/limited plural, or
global/particular plural)?  There are a few instances in the
literature but information is sparse.  Please note that even the
lesser plural has to be a plural (so paucal vs plural splits are not
what I am asking about).  And second, there must be a semantic
difference: 'double plurals' (instances where there are two plural
markers but no semantic difference) do not count, nor do simple
morphological alternatives.

As an example, Banyun (a West Atlantic language) is described by
Sauvageot as having two plurals, which he calls 'limited' and
'unlimited'.  Even the 'smaller', limited one appears to be a genuine
plural.

Splits within the paucal (i.e. a language with two paucals in addition
to the plural) would also be of interest.

Greville Corbett (g.corbett at surrey.ac.uk)

Greville G. Corbett
Department of Linguistic and International Studies
University of Surrey
Guildford                             email: g.corbett at surrey.ac.uk
Surrey, GU2 5XH                       FAX:   +44 1483 302605
Great Britain                         phone:  +44 1483 300800 ext 2849