7.1795, Qs: Pidgin/creole, Schwa, Malay, ATN parser

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Dec 19 15:58:42 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1795. Thu Dec 19 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 7.1795, Qs: Pidgin/creole, Schwa, Malay, ATN parser

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 17 Dec 1996 13:39:54 -0600 (CST)
From:  Ad Neeleman <Ad.Neeleman at let.ruu.nl>
Subject:   African refugees speaking English-lexifier pidgins/creoles

2)
Date:  Wed, 18 Dec 1996 22:35:56 +0100
From:  Gabriele Azzaro <g.azzaro at zen.it>
Subject:  Two variants of schwa

3)
Date:  Wed, 18 Dec 1996 17:47:51 -0500 (EST)
From:  IDRISSI ALI <d220646 at er.uqam.ca>
Subject:  Malay

4)
Date:  Thu, 19 Dec 1996 10:04:35 +0530 (IST)
From:  "Gayatri (Dr.SR)" <gayatri at bronto.iitm.ernet.in>
Subject:  request for ATN parser in C

Date:  Tue, 17 Dec 1996 13:39:54 -0600 (CST)
From:  Ad Neeleman <Ad.Neeleman at let.ruu.nl>

I am making the following request for information on behalf of
a fellow linguist who works as a refugee counsellor and who
does not have access to e-mail. Please send all replies
directly to me, and I will make sure that they are passed on.

Ad Neeleman
Utrecht University/OTS
ad.neeleman at let.ruu.nl

Re: West-African English-lexifier pidgins and creoles

Many Liberian, Sierra-Leonese and Nigerian refugees come to the
Netherlands to seek asylum. To verify their origin, the Dutch
immigration authorities question these people thoroughly in
English, while many West-Africans in fact speak a pidgin or
creole. Miscommunications occur and, as a result, asylum
requests are unrightfully rejected. Since the future of many
people is at stake, I want to provide the legal bar with an
essay in which the following claims are defended:

1. Both lexical and grammatical differences between English and
West-African English-lexifier pidgins/creoles can cause
misunderstandings that are not necessarily noticed by the
speakers themselves. For instance, Nigerian Pidgin English
`yellow' means `white'.

2. When the questioning is in a pidgin/creole, it should be in
the right one. In West-Africa, many varieties exist and mutual
intelligibility is limited.

3. When a pidgin/creole speaker maintains that there is no
language problem, this is sociolinguistically explicable. In
West-Africa, the distinction between English and pidgin/creole
is not always known, and a good command of English is a matter
of prestige.

I am looking for material (facts, anecdotes, publications) that
could support these claims, and that could help make them
comprehensible to non-linguists. Any suggestion will be
welcome, but what I need most is information on intelligibility
since the literature is particularly unclear in this respect.
Needless to say, full credits will be given to anyone whose
information is used.

Ren! Schrader
refugee counsellor