7.164, Qs: Yiddish, Self-translation, Conversation analysis, Inuit

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Feb 2 02:35:27 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-164. Thu Feb 1 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  142

Subject: 7.164, Qs: Yiddish, Self-translation, Conversation analysis, Inuit

Date:  Wed, 31 Jan 1996 10:54:58 -0400
From:  ROGER at beattie.uct.ac.za ("Lass, RG, Roger, Prof")
Subject:        query: Yiddish derivational affix

2)
Date:  Thu, 01 Feb 1996 14:52:23 +0100
From:  jungv at rz.uni-duesseldorf.de (Verena Jung)
Subject:  Self-Translations of Academic Texts

3)
Date:  Thu, 01 Feb 1996 16:33:23 GMT
From:  J.COWPER at ucrysj.ac.uk ("Janet Cowper")
Subject:        scripted dialogue and natural conversation

4)
Date:  Thu, 01 Feb 1996 16:26:12 EST
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Question: Inuit

Date:  Wed, 31 Jan 1996 10:54:58 -0400
From:  ROGER at beattie.uct.ac.za ("Lass, RG, Roger, Prof")

Being at the moment in a place where the relevant literature (if any)
is not available, does anyone out there know anything about the
possible etymology of the Yiddish deverbal suffix /-axts/, as in
/piSaxts/ 'urine' (cf. /piSn/ to 'piss'), /brexaxts/ 'vomit'
(/brexn/), /Spajaxts/ 'saliva' (/Spajen/ 'to spit')?

I'd also appreciate some information on the curious diminutive plural
/-ax/, which appears to have no Germanic source, and looks like a
Slavic locative, which would be weird. Any help appreciated.

Roger Lass

Roger Lass
Department of Linguistics
University of Cape Town
Rondebosch 7700/South Africa
Tel +(021) 650 3138  Fax +(021) 650 3726