7.166, Disc: Emphasis, Journal Costs

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Feb 2 16:55:41 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-166. Fri Feb 2 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  143

Subject: 7.166, Disc: Emphasis, Journal Costs

Date:  Tue, 30 Jan 1996 09:37:56 EST
From:  haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu ("Harold F. Schiffman")
Subject:  Re: 7.143, Disc: Emphasis

2)
Date:  Tue, 30 Jan 1996 22:15:24 CST
From:  pdaniels at press-gopher.uchicago.edu (Peter Daniels)

3)
Date:  Fri, 02 Feb 1996 09:20:51 CST
From:  ormsby at servidor.dgsca.unam.mx ("Ormsby Lowry Harold-CELE")

Date:  Fri, 02 Feb 1996 15:50:34 GMT
From:  llsingam at reading.ac.uk (Richard Ingham)

Date:  Tue, 30 Jan 1996 09:37:56 EST
From:  haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu ("Harold F. Schiffman")

Torsten Leuschner's posting about German emphasis, on prepositions with
which there can be no contrast, reminded me of when I first began to
notice this in American news broadcasts.  It was during one of the crises
in the Middle East, and after saying something about Israel or whatever,
the announcer said

	Henry Kissinger is now *in* Jerusalem, and will be talking to
officials there about xyz.

It struck me at the time as being a way to contrast reports *about* the
Middle East with a statement about somebody being physically, actually, at
this moment *there*, but I think now some of this has become divorced from
just "contrasting prepositions".  In other words it has a kind of
immediacy, it's-happening-right-now, kind of effect.  In the airline
announcements, though, it sounds to me more like a kind of
chiding or scolding:

	"we warned you about
remaining *in* your seats until the aircraft has come to a complete stop
*at* the gate, and now we're going to remind you *again*!"

Hal Schiffman