7.198, Disc: Journal costs, Emphasis

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Feb 7 16:08:30 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-198. Wed Feb 7 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  132

Subject: 7.198, Disc: Journal costs, Emphasis

Date:  Mon, 05 Feb 1996 14:58:07 +0800
From:  alanden at uniwa.uwa.edu.au (Alan Dench)
Subject:  journal costs

2)
Date:  Wed, 07 Feb 1996 10:05:09 EST
From:  Mark at ccgate.dragonsys.com
Subject:   Emphasis: disc.

Date:  Mon, 05 Feb 1996 14:58:07 +0800
From:  alanden at uniwa.uwa.edu.au (Alan Dench)

While there are many obvious advantages to electronic publishing,
and some very attractive multi-media options in presenting language
material (grammars, dictionaries etc.) on CD-Rom, there are,
I believe a few flies in the ointment.

If I choose to look up some obscure data on the phonology of
some Amerindian language, for instance, I can find a library
which holds back issues of IJAL and probably find descriptive
statements going back decades. If I publish an article today,
electronically, can I guarantee that that article will be
accessible to a reader in 50 years time? Even if someone printed
it out by fax or on laser printer, these media degrade pretty quickly.

If I choose to publish my grammar of an obscure language on
paper, and if I am lucky enough to find a publisher, it may
end up costing any prospective buyer an arm and a leg - the
print run will be quite small. But I can reasonably expect
the volume to survive a couple of hundred years, if looked
after reasonably well.

If I publish my grammar on CD-Rom, I can more or less guarantee
that it won't last more than 20 years. Of course, I have no real
guarantee that even if it did last a little longer, the technology
for reading it would still be around - I've had enough trouble
converting my files from one program to another, and one tape/disk
format to another over the past 15 years to wonder a bit about this.

Electronic media are not long lived. If we have any belief that
the work we do today might be useful to future generations, in
its original published form - not just in the extent to which it
informs the field, and not allowing for the field to occasionally
retrace its steps - then publication on paper is hard to beat.
(Tablets of stone are a little more impractical).
Paper might be expensive, but if you consider that part of what
you are paying for is longevity, the cost is a bit easier to swallow.

Alan Dench
Linguistics
University of Western Australia