7.207, Disc: Emphasis

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Feb 8 14:49:52 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-207. Thu Feb 8 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  69

Subject: 7.207, Disc: Emphasis

Date:  Wed, 07 Feb 1996 12:21:43 GMT
From:  lrosenwald at WELLESLEY.EDU (Larry Rosenwald)
Subject:  emphasis

2)
Date:  Wed, 07 Feb 1996 10:50:18 PST
From:  slobin at cogsci.Berkeley.EDU (Dan I. Slobin)
Subject:  Re:  7.198, Disc: Emphasis

Date:  Wed, 07 Feb 1996 12:21:43 GMT
From:  lrosenwald at WELLESLEY.EDU (Larry Rosenwald)

I'd respectfully disagree with James Jenkins' comments about the
Gettysburg Address.  In "of the people, by the people, and for the
people," I think it's right to stress the prepositions, since they're
what's changing;  Lincoln's oratorical emphasis would presumably
be on the "fact" that the government was not only "of" the people
but also "by" and "for" it.  But having said that, I'd like to add that
these discussions of emphasis remind me that there are real difficult-
ies in this area.  For example - there's a famous story about Samuel
Johnson and his friend the actor David Garrick.  Johnson wanted to
prove that actors didn't understand emphasis, so he asked Garrick
to read "thou shalt not kill."  Garrick read it with the emphasis
on "kill."  Johnson said that proved his incompetence;  of course,
said Johnson, the emphasis should be on "not."  To me it seems
clear that Johnson was wrong, but not clear why.  Best, Larry Rosenwald