7.218, Disc: Rigour, Aitchison, Spelling, Metaphors

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Feb 10 15:37:41 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-218. Sat Feb 10 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  166

Subject: 7.218, Disc: Rigour, Aitchison, Spelling, Metaphors

Date:  Fri, 09 Feb 1996 10:01:25 +0200
From:  druuskan at cc.helsinki.fi (Deborah D K Ruuskanen)
Subject:  Re: 7.206, Disc: Linguistics & Millennium, Re: vol-7-102

2)
Date:  Thu, 08 Feb 1996 15:15:03 GMT
From:  rmb5 at hermes.cam.ac.uk (Roger Blench)
Subject:  Comment re Aitchison lectures, Re: 7.200

3)
Date:  Fri, 09 Feb 1996 14:40:11 EST
From:  rkephart at osprey.unf.edu ("Ronald Kephart" )
Subject:  Phonemic spelling, Re: 6. 1756

4)
Date:  Fri, 09 Feb 1996 14:39:06 EST
From:  rkephart at osprey.unf.edu ("Ronald Kephart" )
Subject:  Orientational metaphors

Date:  Fri, 09 Feb 1996 10:01:25 +0200
From:  druuskan at cc.helsinki.fi (Deborah D K Ruuskanen)

I would like to second Moonhawk's views on what constitutes "rigour" in
science.  As a professional translator / linguist, I have LONG been
aware of the problems involved in trying to make mathematical models
of language: in my opinion these models will NOT work until the
definition of "reality" is made such that it includes "humanity", and
the machine translation people find a way to include ALL the mess and
fuzzy sets of language as she is spoke.  The observer paradox applies
as much to linguistics as it does to physics.  Further to the comment
of languages being heavily verbal or heavily nominalized: I wonder
if the fact that Finnish seems to nominalize EVERYTHING has anything
to do with my Finnish colleagues being enamoured of and VERY GOOD at
quantitative linguistic studes, but these same colleagues have trouble
understanding my methodology which takes into account such variables
as how the translator happened to be feeling the day she did the
translation.
I would be very happy to further discuss this with anyone who wishes
to contact me personally: it has a direct bearing on my Doc. Habilus
thesis. Thanks to Moonhawk for stating the problem so well.
-
Deborah D. Kela Ruuskanen     \  You cannot teach a Man anything,
Leankuja 1, FIN-01420 Vantaa  \    you can only help him find it
druuskan at cc.helsinki.fi       \    within himself.      Galileo