7.226, Disc: Spelling

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Feb 13 00:33:10 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-226. Mon Feb 12 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  95

Subject: 7.226, Disc: Spelling

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Sat, 10 Feb 1996 21:26:36 CST
From:  pdaniels at press-gopher.uchicago.edu (Peter Daniels)
Subject:  Re:  7.219, Disc: Saussure, Emphasis, Spelling

2)
Date:  Sun, 11 Feb 1996 15:39:51 +0100
From:  waruno at paradox.rz-berlin.mpg.de (Waruno Mahdi)
Subject:  Re: 7.219, Disc:  Spelling

Date:  Sat, 10 Feb 1996 21:26:36 CST
From:  pdaniels at press-gopher.uchicago.edu (Peter Daniels)

Modesty would require me to have let Mark Aronoff's and Alexis
Manaster Ramer's brief comments on phonemic orthographies stand on
their own, but I must recom- mend to the List that you consult my
distinction between "sophisticated" and "unsophisticated" script
creation. Only the latter--the most familiar example is Cherokee
script invented by Sequoyah, who knoew no other language and no- thing
of phonetics--is relevant to discussions of script creation in
antiquity.  See my article in *Linguistics and Literacy*, ed. Downig,
Lima, Noonan (Ben- jamins 1992 -== Milwaukee symposium 1988), and
sec. 52 of *The World's Writing Systems*, ed. by me and Wm. Bright
Oxford 1996).