7.231, Qs: American Accents, BUT & OR, Intro Synchronic Text

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Feb 13 04:22:01 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-231. Mon Feb 12 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  112

Subject: 7.231, Qs: American Accents, BUT & OR, Intro Synchronic Text

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)

Date:  Mon, 12 Feb 1996 13:59:45 +0100
From:  Ian.Watering at postkontor.hamarlh.no (Ian Watering) (Ian Watering)
Subject:  Recordings of American accents

2)
Date:  Mon, 12 Feb 1996 13:30:59 GMT
From:  alik at cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Alistair Knott)
Subject:  BUT and OR in different languages

3)
Date:  Mon, 12 Feb 1996 10:19:57 EST
From:  EAWILLIAMS at CENTER.COLGATE.EDU
Subject:  Good intro text

Date:  Mon, 12 Feb 1996 13:59:45 +0100
From:  Ian.Watering at postkontor.hamarlh.no (Ian Watering) (Ian Watering)

I am an EFL teacher in Norway. As a native speaker of British English
I am able to give my students some idea of the variety of accents to
be found in the British Isles, but I feel less than confident with
respect to accents of American English.  Could anyone tell me how to
get hold of some recordings of regional American accents?

Transcribing and analysing taped language is a very time-consuming
procedure, and it is often difficult to find passages which are
suitable for the average student. What I am looking for is short but
revealing recordings of some of the major categories of into which
American accents are sometimes divided, such as Eastern New England,
New York, and the South.  Higher education here is undergoing a period
of austerity, so it would be appreciated if the recordings were
relatively inexpensive!

Ian Watering, Hamar College of Education, Norway