7.256, Qs: Software for Arabic, The @ sign, Grammatical number

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Feb 18 03:31:18 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-256. Sat Feb 17 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  135

Subject: 7.256, Qs: Software for Arabic, The @ sign, Grammatical number

Date:  Fri, 16 Feb 1996 10:47:50 +0100
From:  Malek.Ghenima at enssib.fr (Malek Ghenima)
Subject:  Arabic Version of Word 6 for Windows

2)
Date:  Sat, 17 Feb 1996 06:05:05 +0800
From:  karchung at ccms.ntu.edu.tw ("Karen S. Chung")
Subject:  @

3)
Date:  Sun, 15 Oct 1995 16:37:49 GMT
From:  mccay at jet.es ("Alan R. King")
Subject:  Q: Grammatical number

Date:  Fri, 16 Feb 1996 10:47:50 +0100
From:  Malek.Ghenima at enssib.fr (Malek Ghenima)

Dear LINGUIST

I would like to know Where I can Find an Arabic Version of Word 6 under
Windows
Thanks

Malek
Date:  Sat, 17 Feb 1996 06:05:05 +0800
From:  karchung at ccms.ntu.edu.tw ("Karen S. Chung")

	I have recently discovered a source of intriguing cross-linguistic
metaphor: the @ sign.
	Probably few people besides grocers and beginning typists ever
paid much attention to the @ before the advent of e-mail; but now need is
being felt to find a convenient and clear way to refer to the symbol in
every language spoken where the Net has extended its tentacles.
	In English it is simply called an 'at' sign, though I have heard
it erroneously referred to more than once as an 'ampersand' (&; I think
because _ampersand_ sounds nice and Latinate - _and per se and_, according
to Webster's). When rattling off an e-mail address, I may also add, "you
know, that 'a' with a circle around it?" for clarity.
	Other languages make poetry of the sign. In Mandarin Chinese, @ is
called either _xiao3 lao3shu3_, 'little mouse', or _lao3shu3 hao4_, 'mouse
sign'. (Note how the tail curls cozily around the it.)
	Germans call it _Klammeraffe_, 'bracket-monkey', or _Ohr_, 'ear'
(the latter sounds like a very Chinese kind of metaphor to me).
	In Spanish, it's _arroba_, a unit of measure for 25 lb.
	This has gotten me to wondering what @ is called in other
languages.
	I'd really appreciate it if you'd write to me personally and tell
me what @ is called in your language or languages you know. Please include
a literal gloss of the term, and pronunciation key, if possible. Maybe
also a note on how current the term actually is, and how long ago you
first heard it.
	I will post a summary.
	A happy Chinese New Year to you all!

					  Karen Steffen Chung