7.257, Qs: Glottal stop, Ethnocentrism in lang

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Feb 18 04:37:49 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-257. Sat Feb 17 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  104

Subject: 7.257, Qs: Glottal stop, Ethnocentrism in lang

Date:  Sat, 17 Feb 1996 18:42:27 EST
From:  CHARANDRANNA at delphi.com
Subject:  query: glottal stop

2)
Date:  Sat, 17 Feb 1996 18:07:09 GMT
From:  104LYN at muse.arts.wits.ac.za ("M. Lynne Murphy")
Subject:        Q:ethnocentrism in language

Date:  Sat, 17 Feb 1996 18:42:27 EST
From:  CHARANDRANNA at delphi.com

	I am a continuing education student at University of Vermont,
taking a Phonetics course as a prerequisite for the SLP masters
program.  I am planning on doing some research into the glottal stop
in Vermont dialect, with the main focus being field interviews.

	I would appreciate any information, or at least information
about resources I could look into, having to do with the history of
the glottal stop in Vermont and New England, and how it came to be
part of local dialect.  (I have found some information about the
glottal stop in England, and I assume it was brought here from there.)

	I realize there was some discussion a few months ago about
this type of request.  I have done extensive searches in libraries and
computer databases.  My professors have told me that there isn't much
out there on this, and my research so far confirms this.

	Any help is appreciated; please send any information directly
to me.  I will be happy to share with the List anything I find out.

     Charles Barasch
     Plainfield, VT
     e-mail: charandranna at delphi.com