7.260, Disc: Journal Costs, Linguistics and millennium

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Feb 18 15:42:46 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-260. Sun Feb 18 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  134

Subject: 7.260, Disc: Journal Costs, Linguistics and millennium

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Fri, 16 Feb 1996 08:56:38 GMT
From:  llsingam at reading.ac.uk (Richard Ingham)
Subject:  Re: 7.208, Moderating

2)
Date:  Wed, 14 Feb 1996 12:16:05 GMT
From:  bn at psyc.nott.ac.uk (Brigitte Nerlich)
Subject:  Linguistics and millennium (3)

Date:  Fri, 16 Feb 1996 08:56:38 GMT
From:  llsingam at reading.ac.uk (Richard Ingham)

Just Musing

There's always a bit of a tension between two positions implied by
people such as the author of the Shuly Wintner's LINGUIST posting on
machine-readable journals'.

	Stone to stick to papyrus to paper to disk to... you can't
stop progress because:

	THINGS ALWAYS CHANGE.

	Things we want (jobs, information etc.) are always going to be
there, whatever the technology, because:

	THINGS DON'T CHANGE

Maybe that's why some people are sceptical.
	As far as journals are concerned, surely they could be made
more economically viable by being printed on recycled paper.

Richard Ingham
Department of Linguistic Science
University of Reading
UK