7.269, Qs: NPI typology, Relative clause, Computerising dictionary

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Feb 21 17:06:22 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-269. Wed Feb 21 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  123

Subject: 7.269, Qs: NPI typology, Relative clause, Computerising dictionary

Date:  Sun, 18 Feb 1996 19:39:56 +0900
From:  clee at plaza.snu.ac.kr
Subject:  NPI typology: discussion

2)
Date:  Sun, 18 Feb 1996 12:33:47 GMT
From:  pss126 at bangor.ac.uk (Lee)
Subject:  Relative clause

3)
Date:  Sun, 18 Feb 1996 17:30:38 GMT
From:  jf4 at ukc.ac.uk ("J. Fix")
Subject:  Re: Computerising German Dialect Dictionary - Help

Date:  Sun, 18 Feb 1996 19:39:56 +0900
From:  clee at plaza.snu.ac.kr

I am interested in the typology of NPIs. I assume some languages have
'any' as NPI (as in English), some other languages have indefinite
specifiers [either from wh-words or non-wh indefinite
pronominal/adjectival/adverbial](as in Greek, Chinese and Japanese) as
NPIs, and still others have both of them as NPIs (as in Korean). On
the other hand, some languages need the above elements plus concessive
(or disjuntive/additive or emphatic) markers to function as NPIs. What
about languages you know?  If there are enough responses, I will make
a summary and post it later.  Thank you in advance.  Best,
   Chungmin Lee